Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally found out what my mystery wood is

finally found out what my mystery wood is

after having the lumber in the rack, and used it for mainly raised panels because of its unique coloring, I brought a planed piece of it today to the metro area's largest and oldest lumber dealer.
    The dealer stocks every dimension and every species Ive ever heard of.
    The boss came walking over when I was showing it to a few of the salesmen, and he said he knows what it is, touched it, and said, yep, actually very desirable.

Its total sapwood walnut with the coloring running throughout it. I questioned him and he said, no doubt, its not poplar as I thought it was.

heres a pic of a flat panel I used it for, unfinished. The color really jumps with oil and its smooth as silk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 176 (Medium).jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

Hi Allen
    Looking at the photo, I would have guessed Butternut, which is also called White Walnut. Very similar in weight, texture and working property as Black Walnut, just without the color of Black Walnut.
    Mike
    "why buy it if you can build it"
    www.midlothianwoodworks.com
    My CustomMade Page
    http://www.custommade.com/by/mikemathieu

allen send me a small piece of it,, my cost.. i cant convince myself he is right from the pictures.. and here is one main reason why.. when they cut walnut they almost always try to avoid sap wood as much as they can and then to get the board widths you have shown us in just sap wood is practically impossible from what the walnut i have had cut would provide.. even that large crotch tree i had would give you that much sap wood... and i do agree with mike that it could be butternut ,, there again once i had it in my hands i could tell that as well i have some for comparison..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Id like to send you the 5 foot piece of 6/4 chestnut Im holding for you, so maybe over the next 2 weeks Ill get my hands on some cardboard and wrap it and send you a piece with the chestnut.(I looked for the chestnut the other day and couldnt find it, so Ill need to move alot of wood around, just give me some time and Ill send you a sample of the mystery wood)
    Human Test Dummy

when ever allen dont hurt your self

I picked up 152 bf of cherry today. I couldnt wait anymore. I made the first reface frames and doors for the uppers for around my sons microwave and I realized Im going to need alot more cherry to do all those doors.
    You were too scaredy cat to drive out here during your last trip, so I paid 4.60 a bf, not bad I figured. (although anytime you might come east, Id love to get my hands on some walnut again)
    Human Test Dummy

i wanted to allen but i only had so much time i thought, now if i could get enough of an order to make the trip worth while then perhaps we could find our way there but my gas money is in short supply now

Local lumber place has 4/4, Pensilvania Cherry shorts at 15/16 for $1.80 bd/ft. Minimum 250 bd/ft order.

Ducking and running.....
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda

not on Long Island Karl. There are no hardwood dealers here at all. (at least none that sell rough lumber at any decent price)
    Rents and taxes have driven them all away.
    I also feel the need for rough lumber has basically vanished as far as the lumber yards are concerned since Id estimate only 5% of the kitchen guys actually make and frame their own cabinets.(and the quantity they purchase, they can afford to have it shipped from another state passing the cost along to the customer)
    The guy who installed my kitchen said he was paying 40 thousand a year in taxes(county and school) to have a small shop to make custom kitchens. Add on insurances, gas, electric, maintainence, its just so much easier to order cabinets from a cabinet shop in Canada or North Carolina that doesnt pay these ridiculous taxes.
    Guess the lumber yards felt the same way.
    I notice in the local yards, the contractors want 4/4 all 4 sides finished, and they just want to cut and install a piece here and there, so the yards charge a fortune by linear foot.
    Human Test Dummy

One of the wonderful (and sometimes frustrating) things about black walnut is the variation. Here's some variations from batches I picked on purpose (future use as yet unknown ). The 'different' figure is fun to use as Allen has done with his panels. The wilder stuff makes great accents on smaller pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame-D-D-h.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	66956

The more "normal" cousins can be seen in contrast standing behind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walnut Light.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	66955
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-21-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke