Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my key chuck spring loaded?

Why is my key chuck spring loaded?

So I'm waiting on some epoxy to cure to make a new pen tonight so I thought I would kill some time and ask a question that I have thought about for some time. I bought this older 1970's (???) drill press a few years ago and the key chuck that came with it has a spring loaded pin built into it. WHY? My old drill press didn't have this nor does any other key's I own or have used have this. So my question is why does this key have a spring loaded pin? It has actually caused me to pinch my fingers with the chuck before trying to push in and turn it at the same time. So what am I missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0757 copy (Small).jpg  
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

A manufacturer's description in part: "...equipped with spring-loaded ejectors which ensure key disengagement after tightening."

Kinda what one would think, I guess.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I believe it is your beloved big brother watching out for your safety. Leaving an un-sprung chuck key in the chuck and turning on the drill press can turn that key into a dangerous missile destined to poke out an eye, or worse. The spring keeps you from leaving the chuck key in place thereby removing the threat of losing any eye while simultaneously facilitating the pinching of fingers and the learning of new words with which to describe unfortunate shop experiences.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well.....nerver thought of it. I guess you could leave it in and forget about it. I guess I just was always taught to take it out and it never even occured to me that someone might leave it in. Now, I have taken it out and laid it down and forgotten where I put it but I've never found it still sticking in the chuck.
    Thanks guys.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Tom what i did to avoid the lost problem is to put it on the end of a retractable zinger which i mounted to the drill with a magnet.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble
    Tom what i did to avoid the lost problem is to put it on the end of a retractable zinger which i mounted to the drill with a magnet.

Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of extra retractors from fly fishing and a couple of rare earth magnets left over from a project.

I've seen a chuck key embedded in a wall when a student failed to remove it from the chuck and another turned the drill press on. Lucky it went the direction it did.

I replaced the spring loaded one with an good old style chuck key. I got tired of the key slipping out and scraping my knuckles across the chuck when I tighten it.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    when I am done drilling I take the bit out of the press and chuck up the key so I know where it is the next time I want to use it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I did wonder the same thing about my drill press, which is only a few years old. I like Rob's idea for keeping it from getting lost. There are many times I've loosened the chuck to take a bit out, then had to go looking to see what flat surface I put the key on. I am getting better at remembering to put it back in the holder between uses.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post

That's what I did with Mine! Keeps it very handy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key.1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	66985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key.2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	66983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key.3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	66984
    Jesus was a Woodworker