Kitchen step stool / chair

Bryan Cowing

5' 1" Swmbo wants a chair / step stool for the kitchen! Found a plan, but 5-6 weeks wait , & almost $40:eek:. Used a free plan to get sizes and draw my own plan full size. Construction pics!
wood-ladder-chair-main.jpgIMG_5650-001.jpgIMG_5651.jpgIMG_5652.JPGIMG_5653.JPGIMG_5657.JPGIMG_5714.JPGIMG_5719.JPGIMG_5716.JPG
backrest is next, then plug screw holes , be ready to finish

I built a very similar one of those, about twenty years ago. A very handy addition to the kitchen/pantry for my 5'0" wife. In the current house, it wasn't needed (no high shelves) so I gave it to my niece (also 5'0") for her kitchen. Mostly, she uses it as a "time out" chair for her five year-old, though.

BTW, a latch (knife type or a window latch) between the two sections makes it a lot more convenient to move around.

Made a quick jig to rout the 1/2" slot required . Sliding chop saw made it easy.
The little brass Lee Valley flip hinges may be a bit light for this application. Took some fiddling to get them set ( depth ) right so the seat halves touch when flipped, because of the hinge design. I had to recess them 1/32" deeper than being flush. I also had to round over the sharp edge of the angle cut a lot more to stop binding when flipping the chair back. I should have left the back leg 1/4" longer and trimmed it off at the end of assembly. I had to sand down the front stool part to get all 3 legs touching on each side. Got the boss to try it out.
IMG_5722.JPGIMG_5724.JPGIMG_5727-001.JPGIMG_5726-001.JPG