Paul Sellers Speaks Out

Bill Satko

Well the title is kind of nonsensical as Paul Sellers has been speaking out about taking a different path in both life and work for quite a while, but recently in two blogs he lambasts Home Depot, Nicholson Files, Robert Larson and Two Cherry.

http://paulsellers.com/2012/04/nicholson-files-and-home-depot-blow-it-again/

http://paulsellers.com/2012/04/two-cherries-germany-and-robert-larson-california/

And who is Paul Sellers you ask? He is an Englishmen that taught for many years at the Homestead School of Woodworking just outside Waco, Texas. He left that group, returned to England where he now lives and started another woodworking school called the New Legacy School of Woodworking. Now he has started another branch of that school in New York where you can see their website here.

Around 2006 my wife and I took a week long (6 day) woodturning class at the Homestead School of Woodworking in Waco. Although, the class was not taught by Paul, I was able to talk with him everyday and found him to be a very interesting person. Recently, with his move back to England and his DVD series and blog he has become a different voice in the online hand tool woodworking world.

Last edited:
Good find Bill thanks for letting us know. Its so sad that what he says is the truth today. Personally i dont think one can blame the companies even though i do. The consumer is to blame for accepting it. But if we killed off any kind of shop at school and trades are not encouraged over going to get a fancy education regardless of whether you have the heart in it then we should not expect anything less.
I think it just opens doors for opportunity for someone to replace the good stuff.

Paul Sellers

Hello All,
I`d just like to point out that Paul sellers is Not English, he is Welsh and Lives in Wales not England.

Regards, Mark White (an Englishman).

PS Some of us over here in England don`t believe everything Paul teaches is conjunctive to fine furniture making.

Last edited:
Hello All,
I`d just like to point out that Paul sellers is Not English, he is Welsh and Lives in Wales not England.

Mark, welcome to the forum.

Your comments remind me of a discussion we had making a hotel reservation a few years ago. (Yes this is far off topic, so if an admin wants to kill the post, I will understand).

"We would like to make a reservation at your hotel on Bath Road at London Heathrow airport...."
"What country is that in"
"England"
"We don't have any hotels in England."
"Please check again - you have one on Bath Road at London Heathrow Airport."
"Is there another name for the country?"
"Sure, Great Britain."
"No hotels in Great Britain either."
"Okay, how about United Kingdom"
"Yes we have some, but none in London."
"Do you have any on Bath Road"
... pause... "Yes there is one in Hounslow, but none in London"
"Is it close to an airport"
...long pause ... "Yes."
"We will take it"
"Okay, this is to confirm your reservation at the London Heathrow hotel on Bath Road....."

Mark, would you like to review what country you live in, please?

By the way, we also made a reservation in Coventry. Can you imagine that one? A day later we called the hotel directly to be sure they had our reservations.

And when we sent Paul Sellers "home" he promised he was going to England. Maybe that was a threat.

Hello All,

PS Some of us over here in England don`t believe everything Paul teaches is conjunctive to fine furniture making.

Thanks Mark, for the correction! Now, I can only hope that the Welsh will forgive me.;)

Thanks for the warm welcome,
I get confused when American states are referred to by their abbreviated initials, its ok if you know the names of every state, but you`ve got too many to remember.

Regards, Mark White ( a dumb Englishman)

Hello All,

My first post and I beg to differ somewhat. The bio on his UK website says he started his apprenticeship in Stockport, 40 miles (I have no idea how far in km) east of Liverpool. The completely unscientific evidence for this is that my wife who has an unerring ear for accents and their geographic origins told me the first time she heard him on one of his videos that he grew up somewhere near Liverpool.

I took the first part of Paul's foundational woodworking course in Greenwich, NY last weekend and I can't wait to go back.

http://www.newlegacywoodworking.com/paul-sellers/

Thanks for the warm welcome,
I get confused when American states are referred to by their abbreviated initials, its ok if you know the names of every state, but you`ve got too many to remember.

Regards, Mark White ( a dumb Englishman)

First of all, Welcome! As to the many states in the Union; I forget about some of them and I'm a native. Of course I actually live in a different country within the United States; California. And if you ask any Central or Northern Californians, I live in a different country within California as well; Southern California :D. Others insist we are from another planet altogether. At any rate, at least we all speak English . . . oh wait . . . pardon the insult to the English language . . . we all speak American (of some sort or another). Again, Welcome!

To Glen Wilkinson, Paul sellers is definitely Welsh.
To Glen Bradley, its worse than I thought. I looked to see when you had posted your comment and even the date is in a different order 4.29.12 (American) 29.4.2012 (English) oh well, tomato tomatoes.

The best point he made is in the first paragraph. "they send the production to another country for labor savings but yet the cost of the tool stays the same as when it was produced in the US to higher standards" I've been seeing this for years and I no longer buy some brands because all they are is a name. Did you know that nicholson, jacobs chuck and cresent wrench are all owned by Danaher and have moved production from the US.