Thread: LED headlight replacements

LED headlight replacements

I spent the day doing lawn equipment maintenance...changing oil, sharpening blades, & doing paint touch-ups. It's not been staying light quite long enough yet for me to get home and completely finish the mowing, I usually have about 10 passes left to get it all finished in one night. Part of the problem is I need to fix the charging system on my tractor, but also the old head light system is dim at best when the battery is fully charged.

I recently bought some LED strip lighting for our photo booth signage and have more than I'll need. The LED's are encased in silicon (the little white squares) and have a 3M backing tape for mounting the strip. The strip can be cut every 3 LED's to customize the strip to the size you need.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0887.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	67056

Here is the old light setup, 3 bulbs.

Name:	IMAG0880.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	67052

I cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the opening, drilled a hole and added a rubber grommet, then stuck the LED strip to the metal (sorry, didn't get the detail pic of the strip mounted). The original light lens is mounted over the metal to hold it in place.

Name:	IMAG0882.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	67053

Here it is lit up, should work well and not need much voltage to run them. As a matter of fact, I have room to add two more strips if need be to really light it up.

Name:	IMAG0883.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	67054 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0885.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	67055
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Another child of the proud mother loaf.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Sounds like a very clever, workable idea Darren. I would be interested to know how far the illuminated area projects in front of the tractor. Thanks for sharing.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    Sounds like a very clever, workable idea Darren. I would be interested to know how far the illuminated area projects in front of the tractor. Thanks for sharing.
    In the pitch black shop tonight I was easily seeing 15' out, but the concrete is pretty reflective, so won't be that far with dark green grass, but hopefully will be enough.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    good looking, hope the looking is good!