LED headlight replacements

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I spent the day doing lawn equipment maintenance...changing oil, sharpening blades, & doing paint touch-ups. It's not been staying light quite long enough yet for me to get home and completely finish the mowing, I usually have about 10 passes left to get it all finished in one night. Part of the problem is I need to fix the charging system on my tractor, but also the old head light system is dim at best when the battery is fully charged.

I recently bought some LED strip lighting for our photo booth signage and have more than I'll need. The LED's are encased in silicon (the little white squares) and have a 3M backing tape for mounting the strip. The strip can be cut every 3 LED's to customize the strip to the size you need.
IMAG0887.jpg

Here is the old light setup, 3 bulbs.
IMAG0880.jpg

I cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the opening, drilled a hole and added a rubber grommet, then stuck the LED strip to the metal (sorry, didn't get the detail pic of the strip mounted). The original light lens is mounted over the metal to hold it in place.
IMAG0882.jpg

Here it is lit up, should work well and not need much voltage to run them. As a matter of fact, I have room to add two more strips if need be to really light it up.
IMAG0883.jpg IMAG0885.jpg

Sounds like a very clever, workable idea Darren. I would be interested to know how far the illuminated area projects in front of the tractor. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a very clever, workable idea Darren. I would be interested to know how far the illuminated area projects in front of the tractor. Thanks for sharing.

In the pitch black shop tonight I was easily seeing 15' out, but the concrete is pretty reflective, so won't be that far with dark green grass, but hopefully will be enough.