A Hammering Grind of a Gloat.........

Stuart Ablett

......... Minor Gloat.

I got two new tools, one is a 4" angle grinder, why do I need another one..........???
18_dollar_grinder.jpg
I have three already, but for $18 :eek: I have one just like it I bought a couple of years ago, I've used the pants off it, and it keeps on working, so when it was on sale for $18, I figured, what the hey.....:rolleyes: :D

Next was the cordless hammer drill.

bosch_cordless_hammer_drill.jpg

I've been wanting one of these, I have a tailed hammer drill, but it is fairly large and heavy. I have to do a job here soon, putting in sensors in one of our building, this will be a bunch of overhead cable runs and a lot of small concrete screws, so this will be sweet.

Also, I have a 14.4v Bosch cordless, so this can share battery packs.

I'm not really happy with the Bosch cordless, but there was only one other cordless drill I could get, it was a Japanese maker called MAX, their cordless hammer drill was about $600 :eek:

The Bosch unit cost about $180, two batteries and a "Turbo" charger.

It seem to work really well, drills holes for concrete screws quickly and fairly quietly, you still need hearing protection, for sure, but it is a lot quieter than the tailed drill.

Anyway, that is my tool budget gone for another month...... :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Nice score Stu. $18 for an angle grinder is a good deal, especially if you know they last! Nice hammer drill too. I'm surprised you don't like the 14.4 Bosch drill. I have 2 and work the daylights out of them. Only problem I had was trying to run some lag screws into a 2x and I got a puff of smoke. Wish I had that hammer drill for that job!

Well Ed, mine has lousy power, and about a month after the warranty expired, one battery pack went dead.

My 12V National (Panasonic) drill will drive way more screws and way bigger screws than the 14.4v Bosch, also, the Bosch is "loose" between the chuck and the clutch ring of the drill, if you have a bit in the drill, you can wiggle the whole thing about a 1/4" back and forth. Again, I took it to the place I bought it, and they had a Bosch rep there, he said that as it was out of warranty, they would have to charge to fix it, and that would cost about the same as a new drill........:doh:

We shall see how the hammer drill holds up.

Cheers!

I have to figure out where the manufacturers put those little computer chips that tell things to break right after the warranty expires!:rolleyes:

I've got my quota of 4" grinders also.

I have two makitas that are around 15 years old. Still running and grinding.
The cords are getting in pretty sad shape though.
Last year I was at HF [did I type that?] and they had grinders for $8.00.:eek:

John, a friend of mine, was with me, and commented He had one and it worked ok.
So I bought two of them. Surprisingly enough, they both run well. They even have extra brushes that come in the box.

Last year I did a cherry staircase and needed a hammer drill. The shoe mount for the balistors, had a concrete floor.
Cheapest hammer drill I could find was a hatachi for $90.00.

I wasn't impressed with it, but it got the necessary 6 holes hammered out.
I haven't used the darn thing since :huh:

Nice addition to your tool collection. Congrats, Stu.
Have you already used the Bosch to drill concrete?

I've been wanting one of these, I have a tailed hammer drill, but it is fairly large and heavy. I have to do a job here soon, putting in sensors in one of our building, this will be a bunch of overhead cable runs and a lot of small concrete screws, so this will be sweet.

If I understood you correctly, you didn't want a cordless hammer drill but you really needed one. In other words, the purchase of a Hilti TE 7A (with DRS dust extraction) might have been justified. Ok, maybe it wouldn't have been justified but, man, I bet you would love this tool.

Regards,

Christian