Angled Dovetails ?

John French

I have the Portercable 4216 dovetail jig. What i want to do is angled dovetails for a cradle. My question is... Can it be cut on this jig or will I have to do this by hand. (would be my first attempt) The sides are angled out and the head and foot are not. Thanks.....

If you're talking about the top of the drawer front being out further from the face than the bottom (ends of side pieces cut at an angle) you probably could. Just have to mount the side with the end flat against the template. If your talking the sides splaying from the back to the front of the drawer, probably not with that jig.

john as i see it you could do that with a jig, but you need to extra careful on the positioning of the pieces to get them right to match up side ways.. you would need to alter your head and foot boards to the desired angle and treat it as a normal square side which means that your end wouldnt be next tot he stops like they are designed for. and the same thing on the rails but they appear to be normal so they wouldnt be as hard.. if it were me i would cut them by hand ,, its good practice and do the first batch on junk wood..

I have the Portercable 4216 dovetail jig. What i want to do is angled dovetails for a cradle. My question is... Can it be cut on this jig or will I have to do this by hand. (would be my first attempt) The sides are angled out and the head and foot are not. Thanks.....

I have the PC 4012 jig and the supplemental manual shows how to do angled dovetails. Might want to look at the manual and see how it's done. Don't know what the difference between the 4216 and the 4012 is. The manuals used to be available on the net.

DKT

Angled dovetail joints are described on page 29 of your owners manual.

DKT