Thread: dumb cabinet question

new york city burbs

dumb cabinet question

is there a standard industry height to mount a pull on a kitchen cabinet door?
    (dumb, I know, but I measured a few cabinet handles and they are all different heights from the bottom of the door frame)

is it just what looks good to the homeowners eyes?
    Human Test Dummy

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    I imagine there are ergonomic guidelines but, I go for looks while taking the height of the individual into account. If I don't know who will be using something, I go just for looks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Austin, Texas
    My cabinets are pretty dumb too.

For a knob, I usually look at centering on both the rail and stile (about 1 1/4 in from bottom and side). For slab doors maybe 2 inches each way.

For a handle (two screws) I usually put it on the stile, above/below where the rail enters.

In both cases, if something else looks better, go for the better looks.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    I take it you are making cabinets for your own kitchen? Why not discuss it with your lady and decide on a height that is comfortable for whichever of you uses the kitchen most, or a height you both like? even if there were a standard height, you don't have to apply it to your own kitchen.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Plainwell, Michigan
    I went to my local Borg ang took some measurements, brought those home and made adjustments from them to how my wife and I agreed on how we wanted them placed

Painesville Ohio
    I dont think there is a right or wrong. Just as long as there all the same. What ever you/customer likes.
    "Its only by minute attention to every detail that you will achieve perfection"

Dennison, MN
    No standard for knob/or pull positioning. Put them where ever you please. I wouldn't recommend putting them at the bottom of a base door, or at the top of a wall cabinet though....
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Yes there is a standard. It's where ever the client wants them!

new york city burbs
    sometimes I think I got in a bit over my head with redoing a kitchen, but I started, so Im going to do the best I can.

I found a plastic jig I purchased a long time ago when I put knobs onto my cabinets.

It places the handle 1.5 inches from the bottom. The stile is 2 and 7/16 inch wide, 2 inches of flat, wanting the handle centered in that 2 inch, Im using a spacer.

Kind of crummy that such a small detail like attaching a handle consumed so much of my time.

(I made 2 simple jigs today, 1/2 ply with holes drilled, but after drilling a few times, the hole wasnt perfect, so I scratched them both and looked for the piece of plastic.)

good news is a few days of curing, by sunday I will be able to hang the first small section and see how it all looks. Then Ill rip out another section of faceframes and build a floor to ceiling cabinet to do the next section.
    Human Test Dummy

Oak Harbor Washington on Whidbey Island
    Sure glad those cabinets got smart & quit testing that human.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart