Okay Carpenters/Contractors/Pros...

Peter Rideout

We're thinking about buying a used dump trailer, 10,000+ gvw I believe, maybe 6x12 bed, in support of our son's asphalt repair business. Slinging big slabs of broken asphalt off a flatbed makes Dad feel 57!

Any advice? Preferred makes, types of hoists (scissor, direct cylinder, ?)? Other things I haven't thought of? What's your experience been?

One we're looking at is a "Lamar", but there are others out there like Lodestar, Brimar, LWL

As always, any and all comments much appreciated.

Peter

I like the direct cylinder style. Less problems with them. Just make sure that you are on flat solid ground when you lift the bed. Other wise your trailer might tip and ruin it.

Thanks Al
We got the Lamar, built in Texas as a matter of fact. Not sure how it found it's way here. Three years old, very robust and does in fact have the direct cylinder lift. Has a few minor dings, but well maintained and undercoated every year.
Good advice on the safe practice for raising it.
Regards
Peter

Here you go Stu, it does exist! :D

Looking forward to a lot less shovelling-off of loads in the future, although Debbie and I delivered a 3 yard load of damp compost to a lady Sunday night on our old truck (non-dump). Thought I was going to have The Big One before we finished! Kept thinking about the new dump trailer, an hour away :(

Attachments

• dump trailer.jpg
    dump trailer.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 19