ply wood cabinets

Guy Bratt

When building plywood cabinets such as for a rolling shop cabinet. I'd like to rout a dado for shelves and partitions. What glue is best for this type of construction. Standard yellow wood glue or construction adhesive. I'm thinking I should back the joint up with screws. Comments?

Yellow glue. Construction adhesive is too thick IMHO for construction other than with dimensional lumber.

Screws are optional. That said, if my cabinet is on wheels, I add screws. If I am hanging the shop cabinet on cleats and it will get moved, it gets screws. If it is just fastened in place, then maybe no screws.

I also plug the screw holes. It gives me practice for when I need to do it on 'real' furniture. Counterboring the hole without tearout. Cutting plugs. Aligning and matching the plug grain. Trimming the plug for a smooth final surface. Sounds like a lot of work, but practice cuts the job to size. Invaluable when the project is fine furniture and the wood is expensive.

Yup, yellow glue. Screws in your application are just clamps, once the glue dries the screws don't really add anything to the strength of the joint.