Thread: maple jag tip

maple jag tip

Wassa jag tip most of you are probably wondering. It is the tip on a ram rod used for loading and cleaning the barrels of traditional muzzle loading rifles. These days they are usually made of machined brass. But in the olde days they were often whittled from wood.
    I needed on in .54 caliber for one of my rifles. And I hate to spend $10.00 on shipping charges for a $3.00 item.
    Plus, for me, one of the joys of having a workshop and lathe is the ability to make items I need for myself.
    I know it is not a very brag worthy project but, as I said, it is a nice little example of being able to do for oneself. And, it's an excuse to spend time on the lathe.
    This one is made from stabilized maple. It was the second attempt. The first was Osage Orange but I made a misteak on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maple jag tip.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

nice fit and form and ireally like the finish frank just had to spur you alittle.. should have whittled one
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That looks like it'll work great, Frank.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the tid bit of information Frank. I am always happy to learn this kind of thing.

Now your piece looks like its just wood with some burned in grooves or rings. Is there anything stopping you from getting a piece of leather shoelace and say cutting the grooves a little deeper and glueing the leather into the grooves such that it sits a little proud to make a nice barrel cleaner.

Or how about making the piece in sections and in between each section that you could press fit together sandwhich style you could put a leather round washer. The leather i am thinking of is soft stuff and suede.?
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Frank, that is pretty cool. I like being able to make things that can be used for something. Also I learned a little bit too. Thanks.

Rob, those grooves are actually first cut with the skew top at an angle. The jag cleans the bore by allowing a patch of cloth on it to slide easily down the bore. Then, when pulled back the cloth bunches up in the rabate behind the jag and forces the cloth against the bore walls to pull crud back out. What you are suggesting would first push crud down to the breech end making it impossible to clean.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Bower View Post
    Frank, that is pretty cool. I like being able to make things that can be used for something. Also I learned a little bit too. Thanks.
    Wayne, I really enjoy making my own 'things' that I need. When I finished the jag I still had the rest of the wood in the chuck. So, I then made a bore protector to fit on the ramrod I use while shooting on the range. Yes, making yer own is fun. And, these little items are unique.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood muzzle guard.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	67157

It's always worthy to post something you can do for yourself rather than have someone else do for you. You had a need...the tools and the talent. Pat on the back for you.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Don't know how I missed this one but that looks great Frank. That is just to cool.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.