maple jag tip

Frank Fusco

Wassa jag tip most of you are probably wondering. It is the tip on a ram rod used for loading and cleaning the barrels of traditional muzzle loading rifles. These days they are usually made of machined brass. But in the olde days they were often whittled from wood.
I needed on in .54 caliber for one of my rifles. And I hate to spend $10.00 on shipping charges for a $3.00 item.
Plus, for me, one of the joys of having a workshop and lathe is the ability to make items I need for myself.
I know it is not a very brag worthy project but, as I said, it is a nice little example of being able to do for oneself. And, it's an excuse to spend time on the lathe.
This one is made from stabilized maple. It was the second attempt. The first was Osage Orange but I made a misteak :eek: on it.

Attachments

• maple jag tip.jpg
    maple jag tip.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the tid bit of information Frank. I am always happy to learn this kind of thing.

Now your piece looks like its just wood with some burned in grooves or rings. Is there anything stopping you from getting a piece of leather shoelace and say cutting the grooves a little deeper and glueing the leather into the grooves such that it sits a little proud to make a nice barrel cleaner.

Or how about making the piece in sections and in between each section that you could press fit together sandwhich style you could put a leather round washer. The leather i am thinking of is soft stuff and suede.?

Rob, those grooves are actually first cut with the skew top at an angle. The jag cleans the bore by allowing a patch of cloth on it to slide easily down the bore. Then, when pulled back the cloth bunches up in the rabate behind the jag and forces the cloth against the bore walls to pull crud back out. What you are suggesting would first push crud down to the breech end making it impossible to clean.

Frank, that is pretty cool. I like being able to make things that can be used for something. Also I learned a little bit too. Thanks.

Wayne, I really enjoy making my own 'things' that I need. When I finished the jag I still had the rest of the wood in the chuck. So, I then made a bore protector to fit on the ramrod I use while shooting on the range. Yes, making yer own is fun. And, these little items are unique.wood muzzle guard.jpg

It's always worthy to post something you can do for yourself rather than have someone else do for you. You had a need...the tools and the talent. Pat on the back for you.