Birkenstock plane

I mentioned earlier that I'm taking a hand tools class at the local community college. Mid term was to make a plane. Here's mine.

The sole is bloodwood, top is hard maple, blade by Hock. Sole has a few coats of paste wax, top has a couple of light coats. Its 14 inches long. Works pretty well, but I still need to tune the wedge and the retaining pin to improve the tightness of the fit.

The reason for the weird shape is that I tried to make it ergonomic, to fit my hands. The other students kidded me about my 'birkenstock plane." It does fit like a glove - literally. :D .

By the way, I don't usually plane on my MFT, but the bench is too crowded. Gotta clean shop today:doh:

Attachments

• shavings.jpg
    shavings.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 46
  • ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
  • sole.jpg
    sole.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 37
Good work Jess. I'll have to see if mom has some Birke buckles around somewhere. You could strap it to your hands!

Nice job! I wish our local college offered classes like that.

Looks great Jesse :thumb:

One of these days, time permitting, I want to attempt making one, two, or----------------------:huh: :dunno: :D

Jesse,

The plane looks great. Making it ergo style is also the way to go. For something like a plane you want it to feel comfortable. James Krenov made his planes and talked about making them ergonomically in one of his books.

Wow! That is really nice Jesse. You are a talented guy. I have been thinking about buying a couple of planes but the ones that I know are good cost so much and I do not know if the lesser ones are worthwhile or not. With this kind of lack of knowledge there is no chance that I could make one that would work.