Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop phone Question?

Shop phone Question?

i have a shop phone that has the feature of a blinking red light if your where your close enough to see it,, so here comes the real hard question.. could it be connected to alight out in the shop that would blink with a incoming call? another words could i splice in and get the blinking out there too like a blue special in walmart so what say yee "great sparky's" we have here
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Don't know about wiring one, but this, or this, might work for you.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

If your phone is hard wired you should have no trouble finding a strobe or other flashing light like those cited by Jim. If it's wireless, like mine, I don't think you will have many options.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Search on phones for the hearing impaired or deaf. So how does a deaf person use a phone, you may ask. They communicate via a TTY type device.

The old way was that the phone had a plug that you could plug a light into and it would blink the light. A new way is it works with a pager and the pager vibrates (you have to wear the pager, of course).

Mike

[Here's some more.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-29-2012 at 11:20 PM.
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

its hard wired rennie,, but the reviews are saying that they arent as bright as they could be..and in fairly well lit room i am reluctant??? was hoping to get some kind of a red light that would flash..

Hi,

Radio Shack sells a unit that you just plug into your telephone outlet. There is a power cord and you just plug any lamp into the flasher unit. It will flash that lamp on with every ringtone. So it will work with hard wired or at the base for cordless; not for cell phones.

It should be easy to make one for a cell phone. Radio Shack and many others sell a very inexpensive (a buck or two) microphone with an attached suction cup; they use them on windows for burgular alarms and a long time ago on guitars to amplify the sound. Stick the suction cup on the cell phone. Have the signal go to any cheap audio amplifier. Have the output from the amplifier close a relay in the power line to the lamp; when the phone ringtone is "ringing." The lamp, or whatever, will flash with each ringtone.

I have not purchased any electronic components for quite-a-while so I am padding my price from what I know. Let's say less than $25 and your labor. See if someplace like Radio Shack has something like that already made. That would be the easy way.

Enjoy,

JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 04-30-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

ya know my son hooked up a light that worked on a doorbell for me, so if someone needed me, they wouldnt suprise me while I was using a tool. Too dangerous for me, and a light would work.
    Problem was no matter where I put the light, Id be so focused on the machine, Id never see the light.

My stepfather had a huge factory and he had a tremendous red light blink and bell whenever the phone rang.
    You couldnt hear the ringing, but if you were someone in the factory, youd see the light.

I say use your cell, just set it to vibrate and keep it in your pocket. I feel mine when Im getting a call. I may not pick it up in time, but at least I call back if its important.
    Human Test Dummy

Hi Again,

I did a bit of a search on Google and came up with the following. Glenn says, "Dad. Google is your friend."

maxiaids.com has a unit that plugs into your wall outlet. You plug any lamp into it. I flashes with the ringtone. $25. You can purchase a strobe light to use instead of your household lamp. Strobes are usually quite bright---brighter than the flash on your camera---call and ask.
    Check out a hearing impaired web site.

That does not help with a cell phone. However it would work with the base of a cordless phone set-up or hardwired phone.

I put a 150 watt, bare bulb lamp, with a reflector in the ceiling of my shop for my wife to signal me. I took it out. She had to come out 100% of the time because I would not notice the flashing light. Maybe I should have tried a red lamp. I'll bet one of those rotating mirror lamps like used on police cars would get your attention because it would stimulate the rods in your retina. The rods are the cells in the back of the eye that detect motion and changes in light level.

An honest to gosh strobe light like we used to use in the black and white film cameras would definitely get my attention. A strobe light like used on stage in an auditorium would get the attention of the entire neighborhood. Being realistic; there is an answer out there somewhere and it should not be expensive. There are a few million people in the USA that are hearing impaired. Some business people are surly trying to attend to their needs.

Enjoy,

JimB
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 04-30-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    VOTING MEMBER

allen i am looking for the red light idea, will look for what jim mentioned at radio shack.. i dont use a cell phone, only on trips.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    allen i am looking for the red light idea, will look for what jim mentioned at radio shack.. i dont use a cell phone, only on trips.
    Larry,

Since you are hardwired, I would call about that MAXIaids unit. Check out the maximum wattage your lamp could have. Do they still make red lamps that are made with red glass, not a red film or paint. What kind of wattage can you get. The red glass lamps were so much clearer and appeared so much brighter than the other colored lamps.

I just checked. I could not find that unit at Radio Shack's web site. Maybe a phone call would get a better result.

Enjoy,

JimB
    VOTING MEMBER