Shop phone Question?

well frank, i can understand your thoughts but in my case it is nice to have a warning so when the kids call or a maybe a person looking to hire me for some work it would be good as well..i have a answering service but after 9 rings it picks up because it sometimes takes me that long to get there. this way i can get it before they change there mind:)

Larry, I understand your situation also. Been there with kids and works, done that. My kids are long gone and nobody is hiring me. However, I understand and accept the risk that if I am home alone and something happens, a phone nearby could, literally, be a lifesaver. We all make choices.

Well I was a brain storming on this today. And with a bit of tweaking I think you could make one of the dog collars that come with the under ground fence work. See ya hook it up to the phone and every time it rings it would give ya bit of a zap.:thumb::thumb:
Bet the phone wouldn't make it to 9 rings anymore.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well I was a brain storming on this today. And with a bit of tweaking I think you could make one of the dog collars that come with the under ground fence work. See ya hook it up to the phone and every time it rings it would give ya bit of a zap.:thumb::thumb:
Bet the phone wouldn't make it to 9 rings anymore.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

man yur so helpful capt.:) i hope that you didnt miss your quota of production today thinking on this for me .. i do appreciate your concern though:) now if i can have it so its wireless and i could tranfer the rings to you that would be great:)

Ya & after just once he wouldn't be able to count to ten anymore either.

Of course if I had such a device, my wife would find a reason to call every two or three minutes, just to hear the screams coming from the shop. :rolleyes:

I am gonna need more medical insurance with you guys around. You killing me i am crying with laughter. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Man i have not laughed liked that for years. Oh boy deep breaths. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

man yur so helpful capt.:) i hope that you didnt miss your quota of production today thinking on this for me .. i do appreciate your concern though:) now if i can have it so its wireless and i could tranfer the rings to you that would be great:)
At least I didn't post the link to the computer controlled dialing device set with your number.:thumb::thumb:
That way we could all call you non stop 24 hours a day. I'm sure that the nervous twitch you would develop every time the phone rang would clear up in a year or two.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i just wanted a light so i wouldnt offend the neighbors chuck:) but now you bring it up, maybe i should look into it and have someone call at midnight on a regular basis:)

Rob---You would not activate a light with the telephone voltage. The phone voltage would merely close a relay. The relay would act like any other light switch. The factors here are a relay that the 5v, ??? amp telephone signal will close and the other side of the relay will need to handle the 120v, with enough amperage to handle a 150 watt lamp (approx. 15 amp).

Al---I saw those. However, $231.50 plus ship and handle would be too pricey for me.

Darren---Great price. However, the data does not tell us what wattage lamp we can use. If it is made for a 5 watt desk top signal lamp and we plug in our 150 watt shop signal lamp, somethings going to burn. A telephone call should get the answer to that question. I did send Larry a lead to a complete unit that sounds great and is $30. However, again, they did not specify wattage handling ability nor did they specify the brightness of the strobe. Everyone (6 - 8 people) who responded said that it was "Bright." They also all said that they would recommend it to friends. The strobe part is recommended for light effects on the dance floor; so it probably is "Bright." To use it, you can plug it into your phone jack and the output is a switch to turn on whatever including their strobe.

As Greg, my older son says, "Nothing is ever simple dad."

Enjoy,

JimB

Rob---You would not activate a light with the telephone voltage. The phone voltage would merely close a relay. The relay would act like any other light switch. The factors here are a relay that the 5v, ??? amp telephone signal will close and the other side of the relay will need to handle the 120v, with enough amperage to handle a 150 watt lamp (approx. 15 amp).

Err Umm... the phone signal is roughly -48V at rest and a 90V positive voltage is applied on ring (roughly because of line loss) not 5v. The amperage is very low (can't recall exactly but its low).

$45 popular but still needs a relay.
http://www.amazon.com/Elk-ELK-930-Doorbell-Phone-Detector/dp/B0007N72ZG

$20 with 12v input/output
http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2667/.f

$10 with 110v input, actual assembly wasn't all that clear from a quick glance, may require additional parts?
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/FK321

Ryan you absolutely correct about the ring signal voltage but the high impedance of the line makes the current available very little. It dont take much to load the signal and drop it to nothing. Those detectors are the way to go. They look like they open collector outputs and could drive a relay. But add it all up all the bits and pieces one needs and one can see what the $200 units are where the real deal is at. :) Bear in mind this is not exactly a super high volume selling device like an ipad or x box. :)

Yeah the kits are the way to go. I am trying to stick to one hobby at a time and dont want to get hauled down old territory yet. :)

Good links Ryan i am saving them for another day. :)

Yeah the kits are the way to go. I am trying to stick to one hobby at a time and dont want to get hauled down old territory yet. :)

Yeah I've been trading hobbies with a friend, he does my circuit design and I build his small wooden objects (either of us is capable of either.. in theory, but time and mental capacity are somewhat strained). So far so good. Often you can do these things for a fraction of the price, but the time expended if you don't do it all of the time starts to eat into the savings pretty bad (and if you don't know which parts to get where there may be no savings either).

Relays aren't to bad price wise - you can often just salvage them or some kits are fairly cheap like: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11042 (I don't think it would work for the above kits naively as it wants 5v input, but 12v->5v is a simple circuit...).

re: voltage - agreed those numbers are the nominal expected voltage but it can vary substantially depending on distance and line quality. That makes it somewhat more challenging to make a reliable ring detector if you aren't pretty comfortable with the theory.