Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again buy or build? Pics added 4/12/13

Here we go again buy or build? The last of the pics added 6/4/13

So I decided that it is time for a kitchen upgrade. I went to one of our kitchen suppliers and asked for a price she apparently does not like how the layout of the kitchen was going to be so she never got back to us with price. The second one came in at 8800 but could not get the cabinet style I want. So that was a big no I'm not going to give you that kind of money for something I don't want. The third place came in at 8600 but they have to install them which is included in the price. So I told them to go ahead and wright it up so we can get the ball rolling. Never heard back from them after that. the fourth place came in at 14500 and the fifth is just over 13K.
    Needless to say I was not real big on the 86 hundred but was thinking that it was doable with the amount of work backing up in the shop. But if you can't get them to place an order than you can't get cabinets from them. Not that they would have had a very fun time installing my kitchen. Funny how when someone tells you we have to do the install just how picky I would have become.
    So at any rate today I stopped and got the maple for the kitchen so far I'm into it for a whopping 300 bucks. I am estimating the ply and hardware to run me another 2K or so we shall see.
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 06-05-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Come on Chuck, we NEED another kitchen build, they are a great follow along and I think with a little coaching from the good folks here, you just might make it through a build like this

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    yep Chuck we're up for a build. We know you can do it, as long as you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    yep Chuck we're up for a build. We know you can do it, as long as you have the time.
    Oh I'm not worried about the can I do it. It's the when that is going to be the hiccup.
    I think I have some free time between 11pm and 7 am that I could use for the build.
    Stupid hurts.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I've seen plenty of them done in those 30 minute DIY shows

looking forward to the ride along

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    ...I think with a little coaching from the good folks here, you just might make it through a build like this
    And with a little practice, he could maybe even make a living building things out of wood.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    And with a little practice, he could maybe even make a living building things out of wood.
    In this lifetime...........
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    i don't think it is possible to actually make a living building things out of wood.
    Stupid hurts.

It is surprising how many people don't want to work isn't it. Seems there are people who want a job as long as it isn't too much effort. Not getting back to someone who wants to pay you in this economy is startling. Dad has tried to have a cieling and heat put into his shop. Same scenario, they come out and look at the job, say what you want to hear and then never call back with a quote!?! I'm confused.

As to your kitchen project, go for it. I am not alone in enjoying the ride along on these builds.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

just do it.

if you hire someone, youre just going to be unhappy. its not like the installer is going to have any more talent than you, and then if theres a problem, well, youre going to have to address it anyway, so you might as well do the entire job.

besides, youre going to save a small fortune, so you can take your wife on a cruise or buy her a new car.
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Human Test Dummy