Thread: Stu's Box

Coastal plain of North Carolina

Stu's Box

Now that I know it has safely arrived I will post a picture of a box I turned from some red keyaki that Stu Ablett sent me. It is a fabulous wood to turn as it cuts, sands and finishes beautifully.

Stu gave the box to his wife and says she is thrilled with it. Makes me very happy to hear such reports.

The box finished up at approximately 2" tall and 3" in diameter as I recall. I guess I failed to measure it when I finished as I don't have a record of its size. Maybe Stu can provide that for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3259 6X4 (Small).JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	67164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3262 6X4 (Small).JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	67165
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

ABQ NM
    That's a classic Stafford box, Mike. Beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stafford View Post
    ... I guess I failed to measure it when I finished as I don't have a record of its size. Maybe Stu can provide that for me.
    Yeah, but if Stu measures it, you're gonna have to convert from Japanese inches to US inches. What a pain.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Los Angeles, CA
    Yep, I could spot a Stafford box a mile away.

Great work.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

DSM, IA
    Great box and gift!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Kansas City, Missouri
    Well done sir!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Tokyo Japan
    Thank you again Mike, it is a wonderful piece, and Emiko just loves it! I'll see if I can get it away from her long enough to measure it, and I'll use centimeters, like the rest of the world does
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Very nice!