Thread: Twisted light bulbs:(

Delton, Michigan

Twisted light bulbs:(

ok is it just me or has others found that these new twisted light bulbs with the heay porcelian ends on them not go deep enough to make contact in the existing lights...? and if so how do we fix it? grind off the porcleian andhope you dont get the bulb or id there a insert to fix the light socket.. went threw 4 twisted lights and got two that worked in the light that had the old style bulb in it..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

falcon heights, minnesota
    there is a government solution to that problem larry, a special, conductive insert....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails government insert 1.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Kansas City, Missouri
    I'd return and find another brand, the manufacturers need to correct that in their products.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Thomasville, GA
    Maybe it's not the light bulb that's twisted!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    I've found halogen flood bulbs fit in most fixtures, but they are not practical for all applications.

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I'd return and find another brand, the manufacturers need to correct that in their products.
    The main makers tend to declare the profile and suitability of these guys. The early ones were all fat at the bottom and would fail to fit many fixtures that were not purely utilitarian. Twisty bulbs now come in direct replacement shapes for smaller 40 and 60 watt incandescent style as well as the larger style. I had to try a couple of times before I; 1. Realized there were different profiles and 2. Remembered to take the original lamp with me for comparison. I haven't had a bulb that wasn't a twisty in the house for years. The 5 in the master bedroom ceiling fan are the ones I put in on the day I moved in over 6 years ago. The cheap-o versions last a few months. The quality ones last several years.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean

You can put a small drop of solder on the tip in the center of the lamp. That will extend it to make it touch. However, I would not do that. I would return the lamp and get one that will work.

Glenn is right on one part, take a lamp that will fit with you when you purchase new units. He has better luck than I do with the longevity of the lamps. My guess is that the voltage level is more consistent where he lives. I have even had GE and Sylvania curly lamps die in two or three months. Just remember, you are profit, the people selling the lamps to the stores are cost---the store can yell at the lamp distribuitor but they have to be nice to you Mr. Profit.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

My wife loves the curly lamps. I detest them. They don't seem to work as well in cold temps.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Ken i agree with you. Initially i was sold on them. But their life aint what was claimed and i have been through several makes.
    Were i a billionaire i would hire a lab to do some evaluation on these lamp bulbs. I wonder about the whole pitch they have behind them.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Our TV room has ceiling fixtures that are on a dimmer switch. There are four of them and they are what we use in evenings watching the tube. The bulbs are incandescent and used to last about two years before needing replacement. Now, with Chinese made incandescents the only things we can buy here they last only a couple weeks. I'm really getting But, I don't know what to do about it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire