leaf support idea

larry merlau

ok i have this box that will have a leaf that flips over to increase work area,, can i use a pair of full extension drawer slides like this shown in the picture to support it with out having a drawer between the slides? looking at a space of say 8" between slides. what if i were to widen the space between the slides to 36" still work?

and thanks again dave for making us learn sketchup enough to draw pics to explain our ideas:)

support face.jpg

I'd put a piece of plywood between em to keep it from racking. Of course it's my opinion that you can't have too many drawers, so I'd slap together a box for one just to have another drawer since I was already buying the slides.

mark, the reason of no drawer is that there are 8 on the other side of this box?? all i am trying to hold up is a piece of 3/4" ply that is 24" wide and 36" long and will be hinged with two card table hinges

The width between the slide is not that much of a issue. The issue will be more of how far out will they slide out and what kind of load you plan on putting on them.

Al i am sliding them out approx 24" full extension slide, kV ball bearing slide with a 75lb rating..

Outfeed on a sewing machine table?

I built one a few years back using the 22" KV full extension plus 1" slides, 100# rated, and made it pretty much like your picture. Slides were mounted tight up under the main table top, with the "Drawer front" piece flush with the table top edge.

When pulled out, I had a 22" wide platform (using the top of the slides) to put my extension board on. So far as I know, it's still in use, and still working well. (It's in California...I ain't.)

mark, the reason of no drawer is that there are 8 on the other side of this box?? all i am trying to hold up is a piece of 3/4" ply that is 24" wide and 36" long and will be hinged with two card table hinges

Okay so if you really think eight drawers is enough. :p ...I'd still want a piece of plywood between the slides so they have to open together and the board on the end can't twist. Sitting 24" out you could rack that thing side to side way too easily with no cross support between the slides. It wouldn't have to be the whole length of the slide, but you'll need something in there. Otherwise, those slides should be plenty strong.

well Mark and Al i think i had better buy a pair and try it out on a dummy piece first.. that will tell me if it will work before i go making holes in the piece,, now if any opf you have abetter idea of supporting this leaf i am all ears i had a plan when looking at this project but after i got committed i found out that what i was going to use wasnt working as well as i thought.. my proto type has flaws:) imagine that:)

If your gonna do it like that Larry forget the slides and do it like a secretary desk. Just make the top two drawers a bit narrower but keep the drawer fronts the same. That will give you space to put a piece that will slide out just like on secretary desk. You only need about 16" to extend to support the top which would leave about 8" in the cabinet.