Maple

Well it has been a long day and I am still not done. We had a tree trimmer take down a maple tree today that belonged to a friend of ours. She told us we could have it all if we wanted. With the coring on some blanks I think I have around 30 bowls and 8 vase blanks. We still aren't done. As you can see there is a big piece on the ground and the bigger trunk is still standing. It will be cut down tomorrow. I am figuring about 20 more bowl blanks and at least 12 or more vase blanks as that trunk is about 38" in diameter and measured 6 1/2 ft tall. The one on the ground is 7 ft long and around 33" in diameter. The tree trimmer told me if I would make him a big popcorn bowl I could come to his place to pick from walnut, maple, oak, hackberry, cottonwood, elm and cedar. Wooohoooo. I think I will throw in a really nice pen. Anyway it was a good, long day and this old man is sore and tired.

Attachments

• Maple Tree 1.jpg
    Maple Tree 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Maple Tree 2.jpg
    Maple Tree 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Maple Tree 3.jpg
    Maple Tree 3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 50
Thanks everyone. It was a silver maple with some ambrosia and curl. Now to go over and get the main trunk today. This morning I felt my age in my back and legs for sure. Although last night a aleve and a couple of cold beers helped relieve some of the pain.:rofl:

Barry it takes some of us a while to figure things out.:rofl:

Mohammad I think the biggest score was making friends with the tree trimmer. He worked for the old trimmer and then took over the business about 15 yrs ago. He said he has about every kind of wood I could want. He told me if a I wanted a few pieces here and there to take what I wanted. Doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks again. I got a trailer full and I ran out of steam plus room. Here is the last half load. That tree was hugh. About 55" at the base. I ran that Stihl saw hard. Anyway it is done now a cold brew with some pizza and my wife told her friend he is sitting there with a hugh smile on his face.:rofl:

Attachments

• Maple Tree 4.jpg
    Maple Tree 4.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Frank. He cut up a couple of the big pieces with his big saw for me. I gave him a pen and you would have thought I handed him a $1000 bill. He just grinned ear to ear. Look forward to scrounging thru his pile.:thumb:

I see several flaws with this picture...you have a white Chevy...uh huh...non-california licence plate!!! And I haven't seen any of that monster stash show up in my shop!!! A Chevy??? Really!?? Great haul Bernie!! Nice to know you have a source for cool stock...Good turning sir!!