Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Yellow box" bowl

Ararat Victoria Australia

"Yellow box" bowl

I was out at the family farm last week, cutting firewood, when i came across a fallen branch of a large "yellow box" tree, the tree is covered in thousands of tiny "spikes" As i cut up the limb, i noticed that underneath the spikes the wood was a different color and this extended into the tree by 2-3 inches, I've been cutting wood for around 10 years ( and selling for a couple of years, selling around 120 ton a year) and have only seen this a couple of times before, but never to this extent, i grabbed the bigger blocks and took them home whole, to cut down at a future date, this is the first bowl i have turned from this wood.

the bowl is about 10 inches across ( that's about as big as my lathe will handle ) and about 1 and 1/2 inches deep
    Its reasonably heavy wood, but turned and sanded well, i sanded down to 600 grit sand paper and it came up to an almost mirror finish, i applied a couple of coats of Scandinavian oil with a soft cloth and I'm very happy with the end result
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0465.jpg   IMGP0461.jpg   IMGP0466.jpg   IMGP0462.jpg   IMGP0463.jpg  

Last edited by Bruce Thomas; 05-02-2012 at 11:00 PM.

DSM, IA
    Beautiful wood and bowl Bruce! Thanks for sharing!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Delton, Michigan
    i dont care how you spell it bruce, that is some fine looking wood and a very nice plater
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Goodland, Kansas
    That is a beauty as is the wood. Well done.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Plainwell, Michigan
    DROOL......that is awesome all the way around

Los Angeles, CA
    That is some wild looking wood. Nice job on the bowl too.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Tokyo Japan
    Boy don't you hate it when you get some lousy wood to work with.....

All kidding aside, that is very very nice, I've certainly never seen anything like it, almost looks like it's two kinds of wood!
    Your platter certainly shows off the wood nicely!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thomasville, GA
    That's a knockout, Bruce! Fantastic wood and nice bowl shape.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

ABQ NM
    You Aussies get all the nice wood! Well, maybe not all of it, but a whole bunch of it.

Beautiful work, Bruce.

By the way, you can edit the thread title if you'd like. Just go to your initial post and click "Edit". Then, in the screen that's displayed, click the "Go Advanced" button. That will display a screen where you can edit the thread title (as well as the post itself.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Ararat Victoria Australia
    Thank you guys for all the kind words, as you can probably tell, I'm pretty happy with it, I'm quite fortunate to have the family farm ( around 2000 acres) which has a few different woods on it - Red gum, red box, wattle, stringy bark, and a couple different types of yellow box.
    There is something very satisfying about harvesting your own wood, bringing it home and making or turning something out of it.
    The dead tree this wood came from is still standing ( although not for long !!) Once down, it should yield a couple of tons, although only the first couple of inches in from the edge shows the unusual grain, but i should have plenty of "blanks" to keep me going for a while !

Yes Vaughn we do have some nice woods down here in oz, but I'd love to have some of the woods you guys get in the US, - swap maybe??!! - although not sure how viable that would be ( shipping costs? ) or if its even legal ?