Turned Chessmen

Start? That's looking real good...

Thanks!

I got word today from Alex that he has put my curly maple through his drum sander and has already sent it back to me, sure is good to have friends with tools I don't have!

Thanks Alex!
I have to start gluing this thing all together yet, that will be quite the job, then I have to paint it green, and flock it! YIKES that is going to be nerve wracking! I'll then add strips along the top edges to cover the MDF, and finally around the sides, that is where the curly Maple is going! The bottom will just be some maple and walnut added to cover the MDF. After that I have to fill the bottoms off all the chessmen, and them smooth, then flock them, and finally make the new chessboard top/lid for the box.... I guess I'd better give up on a good nights sleep for the next while!

Cheers!

Ok the glue up has started!!
box_glue_up.jpg

The main box is first, once that is all glued up and ready to go I will do another dry fit of all the pieces and then start that glue up. Tomorrow I hope to get the wood milled that will make up the squares for the new board. Lots to do, but it is looking closer everyday!!

Last edited:
Last dry fit before the glue up!!

last_dry_fit.jpg

Lots and lots (85) of snug fitting pieces make up this board!The pieces with green on them are spacers to make sure the cubby walls all stay square.

I'll be waiting until tomorrow morning to tackle the glue up, won't need a lot of glue, as it holds it self all in place, but I'll have to be Johnny on the spot to get it all done right. Better to do that after my first cup of coffee when I'm fresh in the morning. Cheers!

Last edited:
As my chronicle continues....
Had to get up at 7 AM to drive my
Lovely wife across town to go to a "Building Fire Safety Seminar", she will be, after two days of 9 to 5 classes, the designated "Building Fire Safety Manager" for our building. Two days of her life, and $500 in fees, and yet another level of regulation and bureaucracy leveled on us.... but, it has given me the whole morning and early afternoon alone in the Dungeon to get stuff done!!

image-1350233921.jpg
Took just about an hour to do the whole thing, it looks good, no big gaps anywhere, I'm hoping to get it painted and flocked soon too!!

Next up will be the new board/lid I'll make. I've not thought about the hinges, I guess I should. Anyone have a good suggestion for hinges? I'll need a hasp too....?

Cheers!

I'm sure I'm just early in the question, but why do I think you will have something clever up you sleeve to make sure the pieces don't rattle around in those little cubby holes....

Brent Dowell said:
I'm sure I'm just early in the question, but why do I think you will have something clever up you sleeve to make sure the pieces don't rattle around in those little cubby holes....

Brent you are in fine company, as my lovely wife asked me the same question. Nothing but the flocking is my response, this is NOT a portable chess set, it will be fairly large 20" x 20" and maybe 5" tall. It will also be fairly substantial in weight with all the MDF & hardwood, so I'm not worried about the chess men rattling around, as the chess set will not be moving about much. When I ship it, each piece will get a healthy wrap of bubble wrap.

Dry fit!!
image-2163604482.jpg
.... I have to go through the squares carefully and remove a few here and there with some defects. I need 32 of each color, I made about 42 of each just to have spares.
I'll make up some more temp boarder sticks and then get to gluing them down. No time to waste on this project!

Watch out Allen Stu is starting to nip at your heals in the output winner category. :) Wow man have you moved your bed to the dungeon.? :)

Who is minding the L store i presume MIL. :)

Boards lining up to look as good as the Chessman. Can you show us what you doing different this time around to prevent future warp?

Stu any chance of using the board as a lid for the pieces storage box. This would keep board and pieces together and reduce total weight for the combined set. (apologies if you mentioned this before).

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rob Keeble said:
Watch out Allen Stu is starting to nip at your heals in the output winner category. :) Wow man have you moved your bed to the dungeon.? :)

Who is minding the L store i presume MIL. :)
Rob my bed is still upstairs, just a short elevator ride away! Yes the Monster-In-Law was minding the store, but only until about 3 PM when I went to do deliveries, I worked until about 8PM doing said deliveries and then stocking the shop, cleaning up the basement storehouse etc. so a frenzied 5 hours of work to get the basics done. It is a cool rainy day/night here in Tokyo, so the L shop is not busy today.

Boards lining up to look as good as the Chessman. Can you show us what you doing different this time around to prevent future warp?
Basically the squares are only 4mm or 5/32" thick, And they will be glued to a 9mm or 11/32" thick MDF this should not warp, and remain flat.

Stu any chance of using the board as a lid for the pieces storage box. This would keep board and pieces together and reduce total weight for the combined set. (apologies if you mentioned this before).

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, the board will be hinged to the top of the storage box/base

Cheers

Bruce Thomas said:
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder if Stuart ever has time to sleep ??

Recently only about six hours a night, which is two less than I'd like :( but I've got to get it done!!

Basically my day goes like this:

7AM Wake up
8AM Take my wife to her seminar
9AM Go to the Dungeon
3PM Go to the L shop and work (can be as early as 1 PM depends on deliveries)
8PM to 10PM Go back to the Dungeon to work, depends on how busy the L shop is
1AM to 2AM go upstairs and go to bed

Repeat :)

The one thing that I simply do NOT do is watch TV, Japanese TV sucks anyway, but I do not spend more than two hours a week watching TV.

Yes, the board will be hinged to the top of the storage box/base

Cheers

You should consider just putting something on the bottom of the lid so it doesn't slide sideways, rather than hinges. The memory boxes I occasionally make www.plesums.com/wood/other/membox.html have worked much better with a loose lid rather than a hinge. It can be four small feet (that go in the corners of the box), side rails, a rabbet around the edge, or whatever.

Charlie Plesums said:
You should consider just putting something on the bottom of the lid so it doesn't slide sideways, rather than hinges. The memory boxes I occasionally make www.plesums.com/wood/other/membox.html have worked much better with a loose lid rather than a hinge. It can be four small feet (that go in the corners of the box), side rails, a rabbet around the edge, or whatever.

That right there is a great idea Charlie, thanks a ton!!
:)

Oh man does this look sweet.....

image-3903608810.jpg

I have to figure out the corners yet but you get a basic idea :)

Also I just wanted to say that being able to post on the fly via my iPhone from the Dungeon is a great thing..... I think...? :)