Turned Chessmen

Stu I have seen these on facebook. This is going to be a beautiful set. Well done.
Thanks Bernie! I can post right from my Dungeon onto FB so I do that often, as I get excited to share these pieces, they are really just sort of coming alive under my tools, I cannot really say where they are coming from, but I'm excited too that they are working out so well!!

Bernie Weishapl said:
My wife said those are awesome.

Well then, that's that, nothing left to add! :thumb:

Little late to the party here, but that is going to be one fantastic set of chess pieces... Keep it coming!

Thanks Brent, I hope my daughter likes it.

Art, funny you should say that about the bulge in the waist, I did not notice it until after I'd taken the piece off the lathe, but I guess it is close enough eh?

Got the first King done.... well mostly done...
first_king.jpg

I screwed up the cross on this one, so I drilled a hole, and I'll try turning a cross separately. This one might be a bit too tall as well....?

Cheers!

Looking good and following along...... i notice what Art did too. Given how well you done the white Queens i vote you try to match it. Its quiet noticable and you a perfectionist thus far. :D:thumb:

Agree the King is a wee bit to tall.

It is really coming together nicely. Beautiful set that should be pasted down future generations. What are you using as a finish. I like the nice soft polished look you have achieved.

Looking good and following along...... i notice what Art did too. Given how well you done the white Queens i vote you try to match it. Its quiet noticable and you a perfectionist thus far. :D:thumb:

Agree the King is a wee bit to tall.

Thanks Rob!

It is really coming together nicely. Beautiful set that should be pasted down future generations. What are you using as a finish. I like the nice soft polished look you have achieved.
Thanks Paul, I'm just putting sanding sealer on them now, later I'll spray some clear coat lacquer on them.

Cheers!

First King done, I'm not sure of the proportions, or the size yet, but here it is......
first_king_beta.jpg

What do you guys think? Looking for feedback please!

Last edited:
too tall....me thinks.

Thanks, I'm kind of waffling on this, the overly tall is certainly "Kingly" but maybe it's too tall?

I guess I should also try laying out the storage of the chessmen under the lid, so to speak, to make sure I have enough space for the tall king....

Cheers!

Stu,
while he does need to be taller... I agree not quite that tall... being a visual guy, here's my 'take' on rough proportions...
new king.jpg

I simply scaled him down a bit in photoshop... including his cross... I'd make him about 3/4" to 7/8" higher than the queen... looks like he is 'over' an inch taller in your beta.

Last edited:
Hmmm, it could be a bit shorter, but I'm not liking the cross.
I googled around for images to try and figure out why the cross was not feeling right. I think it is a combination of the cross being a bit too tall in comparison to the other dimensions, and also not seeming to fit with the style of the rest. Everything is soft and flowing and curved, and then the cross is quite rectilinear.

In my googling I found some kings with turned crowns, rather than a cross. Have you considered that?

Or if you prefer a cross, how about a smaller one, more of a Patee Cross style perhaps?
Googled some more and found this: =chess-pieces-133-staunton-deluxe-wood-chess-men-set-lg.jpg

Maybe if you made the base of your cross a bit wider, and then the cross wider also... I'm thinking yours might be pretty delicate.

Last edited:
Ok here is my "Non-Cross King"

crowned_king.jpg

Not as tall as the first one, and maybe fits more into the set style wise....?

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Stu, I think you nailed it with this one! :thumb: Fits much better with the rest of the set....now how are you going to turn the knights? :huh: