Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing Lizards

Climbing Lizards

I finally got around to cutting out some more climbing lizards that I made for the 2011 toy swap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0898.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	67204

There are some completed pics on this post: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...047#post295047

If anyone wants the plans, I got them from one of the magazines on google books here... http://books.google.com/books?id=h_s...epage&q&f=true

Better yet, here is the scaled version I use to print out on 8 1/2 x 11 paper: http://www.buzzkc.com/docs/lizard.pdf
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 05-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

you still remember those days darren? the toy swaps, box swaps, snow man contests, birdhouse contests,, boy those were the good ole days huh
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    you still remember those days darren? the toy swaps, box swaps, snow man contests, birdhouse contests,, boy those were the good ole days huh
    Been a while huh?

I've got an idea for one, will post it up later after I do a little "reconnaissance".
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The lizard is still the grandkids toy of choice when they come over
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I'm glad to hear that Bob. I know the bear version at my sister's has gotten years and years of use.
    Darren

Finally got back to the lizard project this weekend. First step after cutting each out on the bandsaw was smoothing out the saw marks using the oscillating sander and a rasp. Second was rounding over both sides of the lizard. I just raised a 1/4" round over about half way to just get rid of any tearout on the birch plywood faces.

Name:	IMAG0921.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	67400

Next I used the rasp to round over the corners where the router bit couldn't reach.

Name:	IMAG0922.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	67401

Lastly I primed both sides of the lizard to seal the grain. Will sand these down before painting to get rid of any standing grain.

Name:	IMAG0923.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	67402
    Darren

What is the thickness of this lizard?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    What is the thickness of this lizard?
    I'm using 3/4" birch plywood.

Darren VIA tapatalk
    Darren

Here's the process I used for doing the final paint on this set.

Solid color, green of course, but ran out of the JD green I used on Bob's.

Name:	IMAG0924.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	67533

I took one of the patterns and cut out the stripe out using an exacto knife, then used it as a mask for spraying the stripe on. You may want to wait a bit before spraying the next one, otherwise the paint on the edges may get on the wrong spot, had to do a little clean-up on the next two.

Name:	IMAG0927.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	67534

Finally I just paint the eyes using a brush or black nail polish. I only do the details on one side, the back is just green.

Name:	IMAG0928.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	67535 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0929.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	67536

The top bar and ball ends just get a couple coats of lin-speed, which is a linseed oil/shelac mix that I use for gun grips.

Name:	IMAG0931.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	67537

Tip: I used 1/8" nylon cord. Melt the cut ends of the nylon cord with a lighter/match a bit to keep them from fraying. I need to cut the top knots and redo them. I did the ones on the ball ends, but got in a hurry putting together the top half, they looked fine until I pulled hard on the knots to tighten them.

Oh, used a 11/64" bit for the holes, but your cord may vary in size.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 05-22-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Darren

I'm thinking a video would be in order here.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com