SWAP - Shop made tool or jig - poll added

Click "Yes" if you want to participate in this swap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so ken how did you decorate that saw handle push stick

Larry, the leaf/vine was done with a cheap burner kit from a craft store the Mrs uses called Micheal's...
kit> mini-pics 004.jpg tips used> mini-pics 005.jpg sure beat my first attempt> mini-pics 008.jpg :eek:

The lettering was from a stamp set I've had for some time, If I recall correctly, they came from Rockler, if not it was probably sears...

mini-pics 003.jpg

On another note...I did attempt a miter slot hold down, before the mallet & Push stick...it was coming along OK, until...I had made the finger board too long :(...needless to say, the miter saw, radial arm saw & the table saw are not the proper choice, in trying to trim the already cut fingers down/shorter :doh: :hide: & being as I had joined the last 2 pieces of maple I had on hand to make this one...it was pushed to the back burner...

mini-pics 009.jpg mini-pics 010.jpg

Man Ken, love that saw push stick and the details on it. I may have to put one of those together to compliment my shop art...:D

attachment.php

Hey, don't forget the chain saw :D
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/chainsawn.jpg/] [/URL]

Attachments

• Chain saw.jpg
    Chain saw.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 9
I'll add a "Well Done" to all of you guys. :thumb: As was said, it was a small group, but the assortment and quality of items is great. You guys all knocked it out of the park.

just to clear the air!!! i did make something and it was sent on monday just hasnt arrived to the destination yet. so dont send out the enforcers to take me away.

No worries Larry, the rules were for the "week of" so that slackers like me could send out on Tuesday. ;) Besides USPS probably sent yours to California first, then got held up trying to get back past CO, has to head south to FL, then through the midwest to IA, then maybe go east. :D They knew it had to do the tour-de-wood route.

Ok, The postman arrived today. I had to water his horse for him, the pony express is just not what it used to be :rofl:

As usual Larry out did himself again. He made a really neat straight line jig. Just the right size for the shorter pieces of stock. I cant wait to give it a try :thumb:

Larry also sent a couple of pieces of this nasty old scrap wood to use as practice pieces:D I just used up the last of my "chocolate" shorts on the push stick I made.

Thanks Larry:thumb::clap::score: Sorry for the lousy pics.

100_4208.jpg100_4209.jpg100_4210.jpg100_4211.jpg

it wasnt as much as what the others done, but i do use mine alot, and a larger version as well.. i had a larger version and found myself going to the short pile for this piece or that one and then realizing it needed to be straightened.. so i finally broke down and made shorter version.. it saves in two ways if you precut to rough size first you can use the shorter jig and also save some width on the lumber.. so it worked for me and i knew that others use rough lumber too..doesnt need to be pretty just some ply.. the double thickness bob is for strength rather than just one layer.. for me i use it on one side only.. and brent it was the post office that caused the delay:) bob hadnt left his cookies and milk out for them like he was supposed to:) you put the concave side to the jig reference side then measure the max width needed to get straight line from jig edge to lumber edge then set fence and rip it..

I dunno but today along with the past three days i seem to be mentally challenged more so than normal.

Sorry but i dont get how this jig works. Do you just use it to mark where to cut or does it slide down the fence side with the piece one wants to cut? Sorry i am confused as all get go.

I thought (incorrectly i gather) that when one has a rough edge you use a jig like a taper jig except just clamp the board with the bad edge on the overhang and slide the jig forward and the blade of a ts will take off the rough edge and leave you with a clean piece and straight edge. :dunno:

I dunno but today along with the past three days i seem to be mentally challenged more so than normal.

Sorry but i dont get how this jig works. Do you just use it to mark where to cut or does it slide down the fence side with the piece one wants to cut? Sorry i am confused as all get go.

I thought (incorrectly i gather) that when one has a rough edge you use a jig like a taper jig except just clamp the board with the bad edge on the overhang and slide the jig forward and the blade of a ts will take off the rough edge and leave you with a clean piece and straight edge. :dunno:
you take an place this on top of crooked board, put concave side to the jig reference and edge underneath and slide both along fence giving you one straight edge.. a taper jig would work, but i dont have one.. and i can assure you i havnt ever seen a larger one that will straight line 8ft stuff..
and this one doesnt need fancy clamps that add on to the cost..

I think its that cheap english in me thats looking at the width of the offcut and thinking of how to be miserly and only cut a very narrow piece. You lumberjacks in Michigan have plenty of wood so you more liberal with your straightening. :D

What happened to a jointer? :rofl:

ok .. listen closely:) you can set this fence to just get a smidgeon off to straighten it if the board isnt to bad,, but lets say the crook was 3/4" in the middle.. that refers to a lot of passes on a jointer and you can have it ready to go in one cut with the right blade..:) time is money even for us poor rednecks:)

if you show up here for toni's gatherun i will give you a special lesson if i have any crooked lumber left:)

It works great Larry !!!!!!!!

I have 2 other ones that I use for long pieces of rough lumber. One is kind of fancy with T-track and hold downs but it's a pain to use on shorter lengths. The one you made makes life a lot simpler. Thanks again Buddy :thumb:

Post reported as violating forum rules. It has been moved to the Questionable Post Drop Zone pending further action by the Moderators.

Last edited by a moderator: