Just passed the plumbing inspection...

John Dow

Former Member (at his request)
Two down, now just got to get through framing and I'm heading to town to buy 100 sheets of drywall.

How much does a sheet weigh anyhow? :huh:

Congratulations John, though it sounds like a good news/bad news story:rofl:

I'll bet you will know exactly what a sheet of drywall weighs by the time you are finished;)

I always tell myself "Next drywall project, I'm going to rent a drywall hoist." but then I get cheap:doh:

Don't forget to take lots of pics before the drywall goes up. I go back and look at mine often to see where the electric and the gas line really is.:rolleyes: before I drill into a wall.:eek:

8' ones are not bad, but the 12' ones, ouch, heavy!

Have you seen this little dohicky..........

drywall_jack.jpg

Drywall Jack

Lee Valley sells them, lots of other places too I bet.

Make a not fun job a lot easier.

Good luck!

Somewhere around 70-80 pounds?

About as heavy as a 3/4 sheet of PB, which is 90 pounds.

bummer man..........the drywall thing.......it`s all going on the lid isn`t it?
kinda dificult to tack drywall to bales;) .......if you can swing it a lift is worth its weight in gold! congratulations on passing both inspections....tod

80 #? I was afraid of that, they're obviously heavy, but I never tried weighing one. My truck's GVW is around 15000, and with its tired old 318, I don't like to climb out of Albuquerque with more than 6000 on it. May have to head down to Roswell instead, or just make two trips and buy the additional 40 gallons of gas.

Funny you should metion alternatives Frank, I wanted to use wire lath and imperial plaster, but it would add about 30% to the cost. There's rumored to be a drywall jack around here somewhere that makes the rounds from one project to the next, guess I better go find out who to ask for a favor.

Hey Stu, I've got to post a pic of my favorite drywall tool (actually a stud finder). Its a little green thing with a needle in a spring loaded sleeve. You just poke along til you hit the stud, and the holes are small enough to just paint over. I mention it because its got Japanese labels (as far as I know), so I wonder if you see them around.

John

Harbor Freight had drywall lifts on sale for less than $200.00 last month.
I have no idea how good they are

Framing too!

Got to install a bit of fireblocking and find out what the nail pattern for some doubled up trusses should be (the sound you hear is teeth grinding at the truss manufacturer who left that info out of the plans), but it was a smooth easy inspection. Time to drywall! (I need a smilie here of a little guy being squashed by the sheet of drywall he's carrying)

Jonh,
Do you fool easily?
I ask because there are two tips I have which may help, they are both mental.:D Well, mostly.
First, determine , a weight that you know will be okay to lift as you look at the object in question. Set it in granite to fool your mind.
Second, in this case, have a piece of 3/4" mdf setting off to the side. Every so often go lift it up and hold it to the count of 4, then go back to the sheet rock.
Let me know if it works as you would be my first Guinea Pig.:D
Just foolin,! don't envy the sheetrockers, which you seem to be now, but, get it done. Congrats on the plumbing passing.:thumb:
Good luck.:wave:
Shaz

… How much does a sheet weigh anyhow? :huh:
John, strange though it may seem, sheets of drywall of the same thickness vary greatly in weight. I don’t know what the exact formula is, but I remember that some of the factors are top vs. bottom of stack (heavier on the bottom… maybe due to gravity flow?), and time of day and day of week (heavier on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons). The most even weights in a stack seem to be those that are moved by those two 23 yr old guys from down the road who work nights and weekends.

Yeah, get a hold of that jack.;)

Congrats on the inspection passes so far! :thumb:

Thanks guys, I think the way to go may be find the local football team one afternoon and bring a bunch of pizzas. Much as I'd love to be Shaz's guinea pig, what would I do with a sheet of MDF when I'm done? (hate that stuff, especially since I noticed it smells like the garden chemical isle at the borg- yuck).

Hey there Jay, that thing looks pretty cool. May have to hunt around a bit for one of those.

I've already got an assistant though, or wait, maybe I'm the assistant :huh: Either way, that'd just be trouble brewing :D