"Eagle's Realm" Intarsia

Mike Mathieu

Hi Everyone
Been a while since I’ve posted any new intarsia but here is a sneak peek of my newest commission. Titled—”Eagle’s Realm” it sits in a 16” x 20” cherry frame with purpleheart inlay. Woods used so far; Walnut, Holly, Ebony, Yellowheart, Spalted Beech, Fishtail Oak,Spalted Sycamore, Lignum Vitae and Peruvian Walnut. 100 pieces so far. I’m still designing the background scenery of the pattern which is the hardest part to get the proper depth . I like to shape, sand, detail carve and apply a coat of finish as I go on these type of projects. I foresee between 200 and 300 pieces depending on how elaborate the background gets. Stay tuned .

EaglesRealmIntarsia006.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments
This has been a challenging project. The background has been difficult to get the proper depth but I’m gaining on it. . I will go ahead and finish the background as I have it drawn out but I’m sure I will change a few pieces until I get the effect I’m looking for. Woods used—Walnut, Holly,Spalted Beech,Spalted Sycamore, Yellowheart, Ebony, Fishtail Oak, Poplar, Lignum Vitae, Purpleheart, Afromosia, Vera wood, Peruvian Walnut, Tulipwood. 140 pieces so far.
EaglesRealm001.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I'm just about there. I'm still not happy with some of the scenery on the right hand side so will change some of the pieces to correct the depth that I'm looking for, plus more sanding and detail carving and glueing everything in place. 175 pieces. Walnut, Holly, Spalted Beech, Spalted Sycamore, Yellowheart, Ebony, Fishtail Oak, Poplar, Lignum Vitae, Purpleheart, Afromosia, Vera wood, Peruvian Walnut, Tulipwood, Maple, Bloodwood

EaglesRealmIntarsia008.jpg