Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planned Obsolesence

Thumbs down Planned Obsolesence

Dagnabbit,
    Just got a call from the washer repair guy. After a service call to check on why my Generous Eclectic basic clothes washer won't spin, it turns out to be the clutch assembly. Now, this wasn't a top of the line unit, but it has done the job fairly faithfully for about 5 years or so now, so we were looking to get it repaired. WRONG

GE has evidently decreed that they want to sell more washers, so the parts for their units are ridiculously high priced. I'm debating whether or not to buy the part and attempt to make the repair myself, saving the labor, or just to say to heck with it and buy a new washer.

rattzlefrazzin...
    -Ned

Corporate mentality like that makes you want to change companies.
    Jim

Hi Ned.

The car repair guys on PBS radio, click & clack, say it is cheaper to repair than to buy new. I may not apply to washers, but it sounds like it should.

Steve Clardy Guest
    We are on our 3rd set of washer and dryers.

Kenmore is all we have ever bought.

My wife has put up with me for 33 1/2 years now

I just fixed/replaced a switch on our electric range. Yes, me and an electrical thingy. No sparks, no flames when I kicked the 220 back on.
    Now, our dishwasher is giving fits. Repair guy at the store where we usually buy appliances says that cost of fixing will be about 50% what a new washer will cost. And, if fixed, we would still have a 12 year old dishwasher.
    Vance Packard, where are you when we need you?

Steve...craiglist or freecycle will get you the whole "parts list" nicely organized.

All you have to do is pick it up.

Jim,
    sure does. If we go new, it is going to be a Maytag or a Whirlpool for sure, no more GE washer/driers (guess what we bought last summer?...)

Ken,
    well here's the math... Service call on saturday was $50. JUST the part alone, no labor or additional service charges is $170 plus tax. Tack on another $50 for another service call and we're up to $220, labor for at least an hour and we're at $270 or close enough) for a rebuilt machine.

Hmmmm for about $300, the same tech can sell me a NEW washer of similar size/ability (not the fanciest machine, but it just has to agitate, spin and that's about it). If I go to the Borg or similar vendors the price goes up to about $400 for a brand new machine, which includes a warranty.

As for vehicles, absolutely rebuilding current vs buying new makes sense, up to the replacement cost. Some folks don't understand that, however. My wife's Ex and his current girlfriend are slowlly rebuilding a car. Not themselves, but they're paying local repair shops to replace part after part. I pointed out to my wife that pretty soon they'll have a brand new ten year old clunker, and she laughed.

I think I'll see what the tech can do for us on model/delivery etc... and put this unit back together and offer it up for free on the freecycle pages with a warning that it needs a clutch. I'll let someone handier than me rebuild it. Then we'll have a New machine again.
    -Ned

We just replaced our washing machine for the same reason, clutch. I have not had much good to say about American Home Shield (appliance insurance program), but they actually came through on this one. Recommendations we heard was that Whirlpool is the best bet right now. The clutch assemble is expensive. I was going to replace it myself (found this to be most economical most times), but the clutch was several hundred dollars alone!

Gee Ned, when I first saw the title I thought you were talking about me!

Sorry to hear about the washer. Five years seems to awfully young to be cashing in. You might check online for parts - even if it costs a bit, new units aren't cheap.

Edit - just saw Ed's post - oops.

OBTW, Kenmore washers are usually Whirlpools. A friend works at Whirlpool and has no problem recommending their products.

Good luck,
    Wes
    Last edited by Wes Bischel; 03-12-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    Steve...craiglist or freecycle will get you the whole "parts list" nicely organized.

All you have to do is pick it up.