Hickory isn't wood,

Gotta agree with Karl! I did a kitchen island last year, for my niece, and I don't ever want to use Hickory again, unless it's an axe handle. Nastiest (and worst smelling) wood I've worked with in a long time.

I was thinking about using hickory for the desk I'm building instead of ash because it was less expensive until the guy at the lumber mill said using granite would be easier to work with.:eek:

I was just venting. I had a tiny little project for the local Re-Bath office that a buddy of mine manages. Just a mirror frame, and a sort of box to hang lights from. I will say it sands nicely, but thats it.

I started sizing material with a shaper, instead of doing it with the planer. And when I size stuff with the shaper, I do a climb cut, and most of the time the finished cut borders on glorious, but with hickory there was still some tear out. grrr. but it was minimal....

Karl you might be interested in working some Ziricote. It's alternate name is 'devil wood' It has the property of heating up real fast when you sand it. Will melt micromesh in a heartbeat.

while cleaning up my oak/ash stacks, I ran across 3 pieces of lumber that I wasnt sure what it was, but when I flipped one board, it had a crayon marking Hickory.(I didnt mark it)
Guess Im not going to use it.

I've used a fair amount of pecan, which is a type of hickory, and I find it nice to work with. Hard, but cuts well. I've also turned it for table legs without problems.

Mike