Made something I haven't seen in 55 years

Roger Tulk

LOML, AKA SWMBO said to me yesterday, "I wish I had one of those things, you know, that people in Scotland used to use for separating stones from earth, you know, you would put the earth and stones in it and shake the earth away and leave the stones."

"Oh," said I, "You mean a sifter."

"Yes, that's right!" she replied. "What a clever husband I have!"

Well, OK, she didn't say the last part, but I remembered these things from when I lived in England. Everyone had one, except us, and I used to see people industriously getting stones out of their garden plots with them. I have not seen one since, although I see they are available in the LV catalogue for slightly more than it cost me to build this one.

I made it out of scrap wood from a project that has not been finished. I cut a groove in the bottom, rabetted the ends of the long boards and attached the ends with a couple of nails. It looks a little rough, but it has finger indentations in the ends, and LOML is thoroughly pleased. The grate is a cooling tray from the local supermarket.

The pictures show the bottom and top, and the third one is one of the other LsOML, Pepper my King Shepherd pup. She consulted on the job.

Attachments

• Sifter1.jpg
    Sifter1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 89
  • sifter2.jpg
    sifter2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Sweetheart.jpg
    Sweetheart.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 72
Nice sifter Roger! I have very similar one in the rafters of my carport. Don't use it much or often but when you need it....it's invaluable.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that looks like work!!!!!!:rofl: But a well made tool for it's job.
When I was a kid, my
Grandad had a redi-mix concrete plant, and a sand plant. My Dad worked for him. They had a heavy duty sifter for the sand plant to make sure sand was all that was in the sand, if you know what I mean. IIRC, it had about 9 different screed sizes and was power actuated. Jim.

While my wife was working in the garden, she found my wedding ring, which I lost a year ago. I think I'll send her back out there today to see what else she can come up with. :D I thought I had lost it in the house, and had looked everywhere, even down the furnace registers.