Thread: Good Day - Bad Day - Buffing Day

Good Day - Bad Day - Buffing Day

Started out by having a good part of the day to myself to play in the garage. Started out by putting together my new buffing machine - 1hp - 1750 and 3450 - dual canton wheels - with mezerna medium and fine compounds for use. So far so good with this new addition. It replaces my little Baldor 1/3 hp which I now use for Tripoli and WD.
    Decided to try to finish a project that has been sitting around for along time in the shop - Walnut bowl - Turned and sanded and then I put it to the side because i under estimated the thickness of the bottom and thought I would go thru it when I turned off the tenon - Reverse chucked it up and took the tenon off and broke a hole in the bottom because of how thin it got. I thought about throwing it out to the firewood pile but the grain is wonderful so i chucked up a forestner bit and bored a hole in it. Now the hard part it to figure out if I want to plug it with a walnut plug and sand the plug.............or create a pedestal type thing for it....

anybody else think of anything ? I really hate to discard it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grinder.jpg   Ironwood-1.jpg   P1010006.jpg   Friday-2.jpg   Walnut-1.jpg  

walnut-2.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

my commiserations Dan. I have one as well, sitting on the shelf waiting for me to figure out away to use it.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it Dan
    Faith, Hope & Charity

My vote would be a pedestal, but that's because every time I've seen a piece with a plug, it looked like...well...a plug. Another option might be to cut the bowl in half and make a pair of wall sconces.

Nice-looking buffer setup.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Im going for the pedestal - I have made one now short and fat and ill make another 1 or 2 and post pictures - Im going to make a tenon on one end that will fit into the forestner hole i bored in the bottom. I think ill use either medium Ca or epoxy to attach - sand down the inside and hope it comes out well. Ill post pictures when I can but thanks for the replys.......................
    I agree that I will not just plug it becasue it looks just like you said a plug - I do not do the plugging on anything including large vessels I turn for that same reason. I can control the pith fairly well now a days without the drilling out and plugging that some turners do - which again I think kinda ruins the vessel. However, that being said I know some turners that are better than me and its their way ......its just not mine.............Thanks and ill post as soon as I can pics
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................