Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split Box Elder Vase Video

Split Box Elder Vase Video

What do you do when you have a beautiful piece of wood, but it's cracked in a way that makes it dangerous to turn?

I finally finished editing and uploading a video I made while working on a new piece Split Box Elder Vase. It's my first real attempt at making a video, and I learned a lot about lighting, audio, and how lousy my camera is. Feel free to let me know if I left out important info, if you prefer to see more turning, etc..... I think this would be fun to try again in the future.

There isn't a ton of actual turning, mainly because I didn't use any special techniques or tooling. Rather, it chronicles the process, my thoughts, and the methods used to safely get this piece off the lathe.

Split Box Elder Vase

- Hutch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drying.jpg  

Watched the progress on facebook. The video is great and I can't wait to see how the shape changes as it dries. Thanks for sharing Hutch!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Beautiful piece & your a natural in front of the lens Thanks for this & looking forward to seeing the final outcome...keep 'em coming!

Very nice video. I like the clever plywood jig to hold the face of the vase. The steady rest is massive. Did you make it yourself?
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Thanks all! The steady rest was made by a fellow turner, Jeff Nichol, from Wisconsin.

- Hutch

Well Matt if that is your first video i think you got nothing to worry about. You did a fine job. of explaining and showing the turning. Your passion and excitement and enthusiasm certainly came through the video for me. Kept me hooked to the end.

I have to say the video added the value for me by being able to see just how much went into making the piece and the ingenuity you used to get the wood held in place. I was struggling before seeing the video to imagine how you turned the piece.

I think you got a classic piece here. Who would have thought that crack or split was all the way through like it is. I agree on the bark taking a hike making it better. You have more courage than i would have had to go in and smooth out those ridges.

I would have called it a day when i got it hollowed if i had to make it that far.

Do more and post more especially your own videos. Great work. My only comment on the video would be see if you can regulate the volume when you in edting mode. At one point when you walk up to the camera to lift it, your body being close to the mike automatically affected the loundness. But nothing to be too concerned about. Love the whole schebang.
    cheers

Thanks for the great comments Rob! I will have to keep video making a little more in my mind when I go to work on other pieces in the future. And you're definitely right about the volume thing. It was bugging the heck out of me while editing, but I couldn't seem to find any functions that would allow my to change it. Gotta love free software and cheap cameras.

- Hutch

Wow, Matt, color me impressed. Don't forget to share the pics of the finished piece. The video is awesome. Do some more.

hutch's enthusiasm shows threw every day at his day job as well.. he is definitely one of the good ones
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That was cool Hutch!! Actually watched the whole thing. You really have a great set up and an eye for making these visions work!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots