Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple Platter

Maple Platter

Here is the other maple platter I have been working on for a while. Lots of burning but a labor of love. This barn was built by my great grandfather sometime around 1890. I have a couple of piece of wood from it and also a handful of the square nails. The land has been handed down to my uncle who passed away and now his kids are selling it. I went down and got some pictures of it and the home place before it sold. Anyway the platter is maple and is 15" across. It is finished with several coats of poly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weishapl Barn Platter 2.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bernie very very cool. For me its super very cool. I am particularly fond of the old barn picture and your pyro work has it showing such that i can picture the real thing. Sad that the farm has to pass out of the family really sad. I mean 1890 and now the young uns dont have the appetite. Glad you got some of the wood i was going to suggest that when i first scanned your post then i read it properly. I hope this platter has got the not for sale sign on it and the salespeople in your home honor it.

edit
    Had another thought Bernie, how about using a small piece of the wood you got from the barn to make a stand for it and engrave the wood with an inscription about it being from the barn in the pic. I think it would make a nice touch.
    cheers

Great platter, but that burned barn is even better.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Thanks Rob and Jeff.

Rob it is funny you should mention no sale. Well my aunt called last night. She was my uncles second wife of 32 yrs and I found out she still owns the barn. She told my uncle she just wanted the land and barn. She wanted to buy the platter. She is also a accomplished painter and has her paintings is several galleries in Kansas and Nebraska. She has two I have had my eye on for some time. Anyway we made a deal that I got the two pictures and $75. I am a happy camper and she is just excited to have it for her collection. Here are the two paintings I will get. Guess that means I turn another platter and burn the barn for me now which will not be for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aunt Marilyn painting 1.jpg   Aunt Marilyn painting 2.jpg  
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice platter and nice score on the paintings.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Very nice platter, Bernie. The story is wonderful too. Your woodburning just keeps getting better.

You nailed another one, Bernie! Great-looking platter, and the pyrography is top-notch.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    great job man, and i'm sure the next one will look every bit as good.

Thanks again to all. I got the platter turned today and started burning that same barn. My wife says if you don't get $1000 for it, it isn't going anywhere. So I guess this one we are keeping and I had planned on it.
    Bernie W.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    ... My wife says if you don't get $1000 for it, it isn't going anywhere.....

So there I was, barnstorming an idea, on how to layout on a platter, what a great investment this would be to SWMBO...& She said, "it's a just barn for pete's sake" I
    quickly added, "No, it's a 'hay' barn, and this is pure art"...Then she mumbled something about who made me the royal art authority, & that she could 'hear it now'..."please welcome, Barn uhm hay Bale heehee's, Sir cuss"{<coc prevents using the actual words}....WOMEN, sheesh!

Joking aside Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clown-smiley.gif 
Views:	27 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	67331 I love it Bernie, if not for the couplas{if that's what they're referred to on a barn} and the large door not being on the end, it's almost the spitting image of my grandfathers! Well done!