Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get your heart rate up!

Get your heart rate up!

You know what gets my heart rate up?

Finding myself 2' away from a 3' long rattlesnake...

He didn't make any noise, but was coiled up and ready to strike. I was just doing an irrigation check and was doing a lap around the property.

Now that will wake a person up.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

i hope he is done coiling now or did you just shuffle him off?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

He's been re-located away from the house. Really wouldn't want Logan finding him instead of me.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

My heart rate is up just thinking about this...how did you go about relocating him?
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

isnt that why people have 12 gauge shotguns?
    Human Test Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    My heart rate is up just thinking about this...how did you go about relocating him?
    Well, Relocated is kind of a relative term. He's pretty much been permanently relocated.

I do have a friend out here that will put a rattler into a 5 gallon bucket using sticks and garden implements and then transport them a ways a way, but I'm not that optimistic that they wouldn't come back.

I'm good with all the other reptiles around here, but I just don't want any rattlers taking up residence where the dogs might get involved with them.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    isnt that why people have 12 gauge shotguns?
    My little .410 does a pretty good job at short range...

Rattlesnakes are all but extinct in Ontario, although I have encountered some in the southern part of the Niagara Peninsula. Was asked by a neighbour at a camp to remove a baby rattler from their tent once, so I did. As for getting my heart rate up, two words: Heather Locklear.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    ...I just don't want any rattlers taking up residence where the dogs might get involved with them.
    There's a vaccine for rattlesnake bites you get your dogs for a little insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Muhr View Post
    There's a vaccine for rattlesnake bites you get your dogs for a little insurance.
    Our vet was rather ambivalent about that when we first moved here. We did get our dogs at the time vaccinated. The basic jist of it was that it wasn't a 'complete' vaccine, but that it might buy you some time to get to the vet and save you maybe 1 vial or so of the anti-venin.

They also have avoidance classes you can take your dogs to. From talking with another neighbor who has quite a few dogs, once a snake starts rattling, it triggers a deep rooted instinctual avoidance mechanism in most dogs. I saw it with one of our previous dogs. She was out front and encountered a rattler on the front porch. She was always pretty birdy and had a strong prey drive, but when that snake started shakin, she started scratching on the front door to be let inside.

Still, as much as I fear these creatures, I've come a long way from when we first got here. I can tolerate all the rest of the snakes that show up and have even come to like some of them. I will admit to letting loose with a less than manly scream today when I encounter this guy.

My neighbor that actually does relocate them (which is kind of illegal) actually runs a farm animal sancturary. His wife is the one who has scooped the rattlers into a bucket and put the lid on it so he can relocate them later. To me, that's just a little to much messing around with them.

I admire them and find them to be kind of fascinating creatures. I don't go out of my way to find or harm them, but I do have my limits as to how close to the house I will let them roam.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Snakes?................. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yikes.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.9 KB 
ID:	67357 no thanks!