Another Madrone Burl HF

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is my latest HF (#5). It's madrone burl, about 6 1/2" x 4", and from the same hunk of worm-eaten wood that produced the cracked HF I showed you all last week. I actually roughed this one out first, but finished the cracked one before this one. The finish is about 4 or 5 coats of Antique oil, then buffed with Tripoli and White Diamond. (I need to get me some carnauba and Renaissance wax.)

All in all I'm pretty happy with this one. It's another of the "Southwest" forms with the thick collar...you can see the influence from my having grown up in New Mexico near various Indian pueblos. (I went to school for a few years with grandkids of one of the most famous Indian potters around.) Still, I'm not completely bowled over by it, so I'm curious to see what you guys would do differently on this.

HF5aT 800.jpg HF5bT 800.jpg HF5cT 800.jpg HF5dT 800.jpg HF5eT 800.jpg

What say you?

WOW! Vaughn, that is some beautiful wood. I like the shape too.

Now your'e gonna have to practice your inlay technique, 'cause that would really look southwestern with a turquoise inlay of some type.

Karl

At first glance, I'd say it is top heavy, the collar is too much, but as I look at it from the other pics, and such, I'll change my first glance opinion, I think on this piece the heavy collar gives it some substance, maybe because of all the voids, the heavy collar ties it all together?

All in all a great effort, nice wood and fantastic finish! :clap:

Cheers!

Vaughn.......Very nice execution.......If I could I'd like to say that the natural collar makes it look top heavy to me too. I think placing a contrasting collar and taking it to a slight smaller diameter at the top would make it more pleasing to my eye.

But........the execution ....the techinical skills you displayed are great....You've come a long ways in a short time and that's a beautiful piece of wood!

O.K. I'm drooling. That's what I would like to aspire to someday. I like the look of the thigher rim, it makes it different from the average bowl. Great finish!!! :eek:

I dig the heavy collar... Maybe, just maybe, if you would have had the biggest bulge an 1" or 2" lower on the form there would be more balance, but who knows. Nice wood, and it now looks like you've been doing this for a long time, really sweet work. You can definitely see how much fun you are having.