finally! some shop time!

Dan Noren

Staff member
finally, the weather cooperated and i finally got some time in yesterday. the first project of the year is the result of necessity being a mother again. a ways back, i cooked up a pizza on the coolest thing since the mortising machine, it's called pizzaz, it cooks a pizza from top, bottom, or both, without using an oven. well, most normal frozen pizzas have that nifty cardboard cutout that you can use to cut your pizza on, but not the rising crust one that i made that night, and i had to improvise. then, the candle lit, i've made cutting boards, why not one for pizzas? as i had a good helping of michigan cherry, i picked up some chocolate, and vanilla from the same source. the brainstorm result was the neapolitan pizza cutting board, walnut, hard maple, and cherry (as there is no strawberry wood), cut round, just a bit bigger than the average frozen pizza. pics will be posted later.

ok, as promised, here come the pics! we have the cut parts of cherry, chocolate, and vanilla. the cherry is a bit thicker than the other two, and will be taken care of when i run them through the planer. next are all the parts waiting to be glued up, then the first one glued up, and finally, the first two in the clamps. nice shot of the persuader too.

Attachments

• boards cut.jpg
    boards cut.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 34
  • first 2 in the clamps.jpg
    first 2 in the clamps.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 40
  • first one glued up.jpg
    first one glued up.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ready to be glued.jpg
    ready to be glued.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 33
with the nice weather holding, getting more done today. got all of the blanks planed flush today, and started on the minnesota vedder stations too. there are more pics too. the blanks ready to be planed, and the blanks planed. for tomorrow, it's finding something that's a touch under 13" in diameter.

Attachments

• blanks planed flush.jpg
    blanks planed flush.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 22
  • blanks ready to be planed.jpg
    blanks ready to be planed.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 18
today i cut them all to round, and sanded to the lines. all that's left is to sand them a good one, and oil them up. there's one for me, one for pop, and another five for the web site.

Attachments

• rough cut and sanded to round.jpg
    rough cut and sanded to round.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 14
to get a bit of sanding practice before the cradle, i finally got around to sanding the neapolitan cutting boards, and while i was doing the final assembly of the cradle, i oiled up the boards. project number 2 in the books. now on to the clock design, and getting more work done on the chess board.

Attachments

• neapolitan pizza cutting board.jpg
    neapolitan pizza cutting board.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 10
  • pizza cutting boards finished.jpg
    pizza cutting boards finished.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 10