Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Planes

Wood Planes

I have always been fascinated by planes. I have a few but don't know enough to use them to a great extent and how to care for them. Can anyone recommend a good book that describes the different types, their uses, how to use them (correctly), and proper care? None of mine are of real collect-ability or value but I would like to clean them up, sharpen them (correctly) and as a result use them more often.
    "We the People ......"

Don't know of any good books off the top of my head, but Rexmill.com and Cianperez.com has a bunch of wonderful sites that should have some useful info for you.
    Got Wood?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Paul, go to Ron Hock;s web site, there is an abundance of good information and you can even buy new Irons or plane kits from him.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I learned most of what (little) I know by following Youtube videos on how to use and sharpen planes. Also took a course in sharpening at LV. There's a lot of good information out there.

Also, I have a book called Working wth Handplanes, which is an anthology of Fine Woodworking articles put together by Taunton Press. It includes planes for two planes and two scrapers. Many of the woodworking magazines have been publishing handplane articles in the last year or so, too.
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 05-12-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Second thoughts
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Check out books by Chris Schwartz. He was once editor of Popular Woodworking and along with Roy Underhill are real hand tool experts.

another vote for Chris Schwartz,, the book plane essentials will give you lots of good info paul.. also look at patricks blood and gore site for another source of good hand plane info.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Probably the best book to describe the various types and their uses is the "The Wooden Plane, Its History, Form and Function" by John M. Whelan. They are hard to find even in soft cover. I am very fortunate to have a pristine hardcover copy. I am still trying to get another of his "Making Traditional Wooden Planes" to replace one that I have somehow lost. The current prices for that book (softcover) are sky high right now. Waiting on Astragal Press to print more.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Also: Making and Mastering wood planes by David Finck is a good start book. Sterling Publishing Co. NY
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Thanks for the great replies. The only book I could find was The Hand Plane Book, by Garrett Hack. It has high rating if you look at the reviews, but, I thought I'd ask the experts. I prefer a book, I like to read before I turn out the light and go to sleep. It relaxes me. I also like to be able to take a book into the shop with me and study it with a plane handy to compare with. I'll look for some of these other reading materials.
    "We the People ......"

You can find Chris Schwartz's books at Lost Arts Press.