Wood Planes

Paul Douglass

I have always been fascinated by planes. I have a few but don't know enough to use them to a great extent and how to care for them. Can anyone recommend a good book that describes the different types, their uses, how to use them (correctly), and proper care? None of mine are of real collect-ability or value but I would like to clean them up, sharpen them (correctly) and as a result use them more often.

I learned most of what (little) I know by following Youtube videos on how to use and sharpen planes. Also took a course in sharpening at LV. There's a lot of good information out there.

Also, I have a book called Working wth Handplanes, which is an anthology of Fine Woodworking articles put together by Taunton Press. It includes planes for two planes and two scrapers. Many of the woodworking magazines have been publishing handplane articles in the last year or so, too.

Last edited:
another vote for Chris Schwartz,, the book plane essentials will give you lots of good info paul.. also look at patricks blood and gore site for another source of good hand plane info.

Probably the best book to describe the various types and their uses is the "The Wooden Plane, Its History, Form and Function" by John M. Whelan. They are hard to find even in soft cover. I am very fortunate to have a pristine hardcover copy. I am still trying to get another of his "Making Traditional Wooden Planes" to replace one that I have somehow lost. The current prices for that book (softcover) are sky high right now. Waiting on Astragal Press to print more.

Thanks for the great replies. The only book I could find was The Hand Plane Book, by Garrett Hack. It has high rating if you look at the reviews, but, I thought I'd ask the experts. I prefer a book, I like to read before I turn out the light and go to sleep. It relaxes me. I also like to be able to take a book into the shop with me and study it with a plane handy to compare with. I'll look for some of these other reading materials.

Garrett's book is also a good book and I would also recommend "Restoring, Tuning & Using Classic Woodworking Tools" by Mike Dunbar. Every woodworker should own Mike's book. I have both books.