New Toy.....

Stuart Ablett

Well, as I'm going to a demo with a somewhat famous Japanese wood turner this coming weekend, and I've been tasked by the fine folks at Fine Woodworking to do a picture and video report of the demo, and (more importantly) my eldest daughter is graduating from Elementary school we decided to buy a new Digi Video Camera. :thumb:

The last video camera is older than the daughter who is graduating (about 13 years old!!).

We got this camera.....
jvc-victor-everio-GZ-MG555-S.jpg
A JVC Victor GZ-MG575
The blurb I could find in English on the net........

JVC, known as Victor in Japan, presents its Everio GZ-MG555 and GZ-MG575 Hard Drive Camcorder. They have a 5.37 Megapixel sensor which can record video up to a resolution of 2592×1944 and pictures in 5 Megapixel. They feature 10x of optical zoom and 200x of digital zoom.
The Everio GZ-MG555 has 30GB of capacity while the Everio GZ-MG575 has 40GB. Both of them support also SD cards.

We had a look at a lot of these things, the Sony was really in the running, but in the end, the "Touch Screen" thing put me off, I guess I have fat fingers, but it was annoying to be hitting the wrong darn button time after time. This camcorder has a small joystick of sorts, and I've found it easy to use with my thumb.

Now this unit retails here for about $1400, street price is around $1200. We found a place on the net, selling it for $800 :eek:

The great thing is that the outlet for this place is about 10 minutes away, so I scooted over there and got it, nice unit! :thumb:

I'll have to get to know it a bit, but at least all the menus can be set to English :rolleyes:

So expect an updated better quality Dungeon tour soon.

Much better than the video function on our digital stills camera!

Cheers!

Nice camera. And for a hundred bucks less than it goes for on Amazon. But with equipment like that, we're all expecting the next version of Kurosawa’s Ran ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Funny, the ones I saw on E-bay are from Japan!

Someone is shipping them from Japan to the US, I guess they are not out yet in the US. :dunno:

I find that most of this stuff from here is 4 to 6 months ahead of release in the US.

Cheers!

Nice unit Stu. The one we have was bought about 3 years ago and my Canon Digi Came takes a better video. So who is the somewhat famous Japanese turner you are going to demo with?

I'm not doing a Demo "With" I'll be watching, like all the other club members :D

Ito San, has a workshop/studio down in Yugawara, I'm heading down EARLY on Sunday Morning.

I've hit a minor snag.............. the software bundled with does not want to play nice with Win 2K, it says Win XP or the Highway.........:(

I tell you, next time round it Apple double dog sure, the software thingy says "Works will all Mac OS":bang::bang::soapbox::crash:

Anyone have a copy of Windoze XP Pro they want to sell me.....?

Sheesh.........:(

Wow I just checked fedex, for a 2 lb package from NH USA to Tokyo $69.71. Is there a cheaper way to send a package?
I think I'll check the post office. I'll let you know. $67.50 from the us postal service. If I don't sent the box and docs, I'll send the label with the code on it. Hmm. How about I send you an iso of the disk to your server and pm you the activation code?

Last edited:
Rickard,

You could check to see if you can sell Stu the upgrade, and first send him the code via e.mail. If he can download a trial version, then enter the code, it might work. Since it's a sale, MS should have not problem, I would think.

The full version/upgrade thing is something that someone with the experience will have to chime in about.

greg, The upgrade version is fine since he's running 2000.
Even with a clean install he'll just have to pop in the 2000 cd and he's off and running. It's just as easy to upload an image of the cd so he can burn himself a copy. The copy of XP pro has never been used, I got it for my desktop but the loml took it away from me and she's happy with xp home.

Well, then if you sell/gift Stu the software, send him the "Code" so he can download a copy of XP Pro, enter the code to register, and be off and running? You could send the original discs via regular mail at a much cheaper cost, but Stu could be up and running in a day, right?

I have done this lots of times by downloading trial versions, decide I like them, buy the code, enter and use...

On second thought, can you get XP Pro off the MS site?

Last edited:
I have the Japanese code for XP home....?

Dunno if that helps...?

Richard, I'll shoot you a PM, in a while, I've got to do some work now.... :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!