If you live in Canada or USA be very thankful..for your FREEDOMS

Rob Keeble

I thought some of you "free citizens" would get a kick out of this ...

Today i have been trying to sort out a nusance i have had for 5 years.....yeah this has been going on for 5 years.

I got informed 5 years ago that i had been allocated a surplus from an old pension fund i once belonged to.

Yeah right all of $400 when i convert it.

But that could pay for a nice new tool :D of some sort. So rather than just write it off and forget it, i kick the ball around occasionaly and play the game of pushing the required paperwork onwards. I think by the time i am done if that ever happens i will have spent more than $400 on postage.

But for me this has become way more of a point of principle and boy i often wish i had never heard the words principles, values and honesty. I could really do with the assistance of the whole Avenger crew right now.

However the point of my posting is more to give ya all a bit of insight into why people leave some of the places they do:):D. I lived with crime, violence and terrorism as well as many other issues for much of my life back in SA. Thats actually the easy part ....yeah it dont sound like it ...

But when it comes to dealing with bureaucracy thats what really kills me. Its a faceless body that imposes their will on others and this just rubs every little ounce of Johnny reb in me up the wrong way. The word mad just does not do justice to how mad these faceless bodies make me.

Hows this section for a restriction (taken from the manual on exchange control regulations) on your freedoms, basically you a prisoner if you have any money. BTW this has nothing to do with laundering or any other funding of illicit actions. This is simply for ordinary folk who decide they want to get out of dodge. Well dodge aint letting you take your pennies.:):huh:

"After having been accorded the applicable emigration facilities the remaining South African assets of the emigrant must be brought under the physical control of the Authorised Dealer concerned. This action is to ensure that all capital accruing after date of emigration and the proceeds of any asset subsequently sold, are placed to the credit of a blocked account with the Authorised Dealer concerned. "

Basically you cannot move assets of any kind once they are recorded in a blocked account. Well you cannot move them when they not in a blocked account either.

Never mind the issue of getting approval to move to another country, you first according to them need to get permission to leave. :rofl: I am waiting for the possie to come on down the highway :rofl:

So if i want my $400 i gotta get me a blocked bank account to deposit it into and then it can be invested in the local economy but it aint gonna by me any tools in Canada. :D:rofl:

You gotta love the way big brother bullys ordinary folk.

Now i wonder why some of these places dont see investment.

After 10 years of being in Canada i had forgotten all this nonsense but reading this manual again reminded me of what we used to go through to run a business exporting from South Africa. You want to try and expand your operation into a international one you need big bucks for the accounting support and paper work you gotta go through never mind just what it takes to be able to pay a supplier and woe betide you if that supplier happens to be a service like say paying for a exhibition space where there is no bill of lading coming back to prove you bought something. Oy Vey

Free at last .....thank you Canada.

Oh Allen if you see this , they even have a section catering for sending money to relatives in the event of a Bar Mitzvah or Wedding being held abroad. This might explain why few Jews are left in SA. :)

You would never think a country like this could be a major gold supplier or diamond supplier or be one of the worlds biggest platinum suppliers...i would hate to have to deal with all their paper work to sell their ware. :eek:

Apologies for the rant guys but dang we gotta appreciate just what we have here hard to do if you have no idea what is going on elsewhere.

Hi Rob, Though this is a little off the topic but along the same lines. I have not known the problems of the crime as you must have as I have lived my whole life in Canada and a good part in small town Canada. Sure a few incidents but I found this rather entertaining and thought I would share it. Don't know if it is actually true but it has to do with certain freedoms and those that fight for it.

AN ACTUAL CRAIG'S LIST PERSONALS AD

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.

Date: 2010-09-27, 1:43 am. E.S.T.

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.

First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually crap in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket.. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason.. my girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afghanistan .. She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it?!

I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with crap in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].

After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful!

I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]

I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ..... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.

Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.

The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).

;In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life.. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!

Thoughtfully yours,

Semper Fi,

Alex

A well know investment company that a previous employer used for our stock options managed to string me along for well over a year and suck over $2500 in fees out of me before I could get my account with them closed. As soon as they would respond I would complete my step and promptly put it right back in their hands, the delay was all on their end. Legal robbery IMHO.

You're forgetting the freedom you have in South America to grease the pocket of whatever bureaucrat you need to, to accomplish whatever you need to get done. :rolleyes:

Several times a week I mentally thank my parents for having me born in the good ole' USA, in a city, in Southern California. Yes, I have seen some crud from government. However, compared to the rest of the world, it is nothing.

Thanks again Mom and Dad.

Enjoy,

JimB