Thread: Great workbench and tool storage solution for those with small spaces

Great workbench and tool storage solution for those with small spaces

Lee Valley has released plans for a small closed up workbench based on the Antique Hammacher-Schlemmer workbench. I had a hard time "getting it" (been thinking lately i am finding a lot of this problem). But think of people that are not as fortunate to have a shop or the live in a an apartment etc and this could be just the thing to get one started and have on the balcony or even in a place where one could close it up after some tinkering.Better than nothing but it also got me to some checking because the picture they show does not quiet do the design justice.So take a look at what the original or a replica of the idea looked like back in the day stocked with tools and you get a way better idea of what this plan could be used for. Think of it on wheels and if one added a "hutch" to the top you got a great mobile tool chest/cupboard and bench. Carvers delight but also good for most small woodworking with hand tools and for those starting out its good for the budget.In their comments on the plan they mention you could use their new pipe clamp vise on this unit the way they designed it. Pretty good entry point i would say. What you all think?Also a link here to see kind of closed up appearance.
    cheers

I like that.

Hey Rob, remember to take plenty of pictures during your build. Can't wait to see how it turns out
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

That is very cool! While emptying boxes in the shop yesterday, I came across some drawings I made for building a machinist chest. Was thinking I'd start build it, but may have to re-consider.

Looks like the Hammacher, Schlemmer, & Company are still around: http://www.hammacher.com/

This one is just not the same though...especially for 2.5 times the cost : http://www.hammacher.com/Product/82444?promo=search
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 05-15-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault

That's a pretty sweet design.

Flipping to the organization thread, there are a lot of advantages I could see for something like this even for someone not really space constrained. Having all of your tools easily available is a big win (mine are waaaay to far apart still). I could see having a bench kind of like this on the wall behind a full sized bench being quite useful.

Rob, you are evil. I have had this on my mind all day. Would make a great liquor cabinet, with a few changes.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

An awesome deal at just $80. I just ordered mine!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sorry Steve...this had me going too. Would make a good starting point.

I often wonder with a piece like this why we aint aeen more of them survive. Not many pics on the web from what i can see.

Darren doesnt that new hammer version say a lot about where we have come to in one pic. I daresay Ikea even has something better than that.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    cheers

I don't subscribe anymore but, I picked up a ShopNotes in the store yesterday. They have a pretty neat twist on this idea in that issue. It folds up tall-wise into a footprint about the size of a refrigerator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cover-large.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke