Great workbench and tool storage solution for those with small spaces

Rob Keeble

Lee Valley has released plans for a small closed up workbench based on the Antique Hammacher-Schlemmer workbench. I had a hard time "getting it" (been thinking lately i am finding a lot of this :(problem). But think of people that are not as fortunate to have a shop or the live in a an apartment etc and this could be just the thing to get one started and have on the balcony or even in a place where one could close it up after some tinkering.Better than nothing but it also got me to some checking because the picture they show does not quiet do the design justice.So take a look at what the original or a replica of the idea looked like back in the day stocked with tools and you get a way better idea of what this plan could be used for. Think of it on wheels and if one added a "hutch" to the top you got a great mobile tool chest/cupboard and bench. Carvers delight but also good for most small woodworking with hand tools and for those starting out its good for the budget.In their comments on the plan they mention you could use their new pipe clamp vise on this unit the way they designed it. Pretty good entry point i would say. What you all think?Also a link here to see kind of closed up appearance.
44-728.jpg
1904BenchAO.jpg
6a00e54f1398f388340162fe39dd72970d-800wi
6a00e54f1398f3883401675f2e0f05970b-800wi

That is very cool! While emptying boxes in the shop yesterday, I came across some drawings I made for building a machinist chest. Was thinking I'd start build it, but may have to re-consider. ;)

Looks like the Hammacher, Schlemmer, & Company are still around: http://www.hammacher.com/

This one is just not the same though...especially for 2.5 times the cost :) : http://www.hammacher.com/Product/82444?promo=search

Last edited:
That's a pretty sweet design.

Flipping to the organization thread, there are a lot of advantages I could see for something like this even for someone not really space constrained. Having all of your tools easily available is a big win (mine are waaaay to far apart still). I could see having a bench kind of like this on the wall behind a full sized bench being quite useful.

Sorry Steve...this had me going too. Would make a good starting point.

I often wonder with a piece like this why we aint aeen more of them survive. Not many pics on the web from what i can see.

Darren doesnt that new hammer version say a lot about where we have come to in one pic. I daresay Ikea even has something better than that.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I don't subscribe anymore but, I picked up a ShopNotes in the store yesterday. They have a pretty neat twist on this idea in that issue. It folds up tall-wise into a footprint about the size of a refrigerator.

Attachments

• cover-large.jpg
    cover-large.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 57