Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MacBook Pro users out there?

MacBook Pro users out there?

Two issues.

I need SIMPLE photo editing software. I am willing to buy PS Elements, but what is the learning curve? I am pressed for time and easily frustrated with non-intuitive software.

Second, is it possible to add a second monitor? I used multiple monitors when I had PC's and found it very efficient for the way I work.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Carol I have an iMac, and a Macbook (not a pro)

- first, the monitor is possible. You need to buy a converter cable that plugs into your mac. Depending on the age of your mac, this is either a thunderbolt or a Mini DisplayPort. You need a converter to convert it either to VGA or DVI, depending on your external monitor. VGA is the most common.
    I actually bought one that converts to HDMI also, so I can even plug my macbook to a TV. These are common all over amazon.com. I personally bought a cheapie $6 unit, rather than buying the $30 Apple-brand unit and it works fine.

- When you plug in the monitor the apple will just see it there, and probably start automatically mirroring. Use the "Displays Preference" to switch from mirroring to spanning.

My wife/son have PS elements (need it for a homeschooling group they are part of) and they are bumping into the learning curve, and will probably need to take a class to get up to speed on how it works. I use "Gimp", which is free. It also has a learning curve and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to an average user. It comes out of the Linux world, and the interface can be daunting to people without unix experience. (On windows, they've made Gimp totally native, but on Mac it still is kind of unix-like, which is unfortunately)

But also remember that your mac came with iPhoto. you can crop on iphoto, resize (when you export), sharpen and adjust brightness/contrast and other levels. My wife uses that for 95%++ of her photo editing. (She is the photobook-creator of the family). If you have a slightly older mac, you might want to just pay the $29 to get the lastest version of the OS, which will come with the latest version of iPhoto.

Hope this helps,
    best wishes,
    ...art
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

I've found iPhoto to be very easy to use, and it's capable enough to do all the photo editing I need to do. It comes free on a MacBook. The same goes for iMovie. I haven't personally used PS Elements, but I've heard very good things about it being easy to learn.

It is definitely possible to add a second monitor, just be aware that MacBooks have a proprietary display port. I had to get an adapter to hook my MacBook Pro up to the HDMI on my TV.

http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Fe.../dp/B002HU629E

No help on the Mac stuff, but I use PS Elements a lot. It's far from intuitive for a lot of tasks. I've spent hours and hours poking around and experimenting with it to get where I am now (and I still consider myself to be a lightweight with it). I've gotten pretty good at the tasks that I typically do, but I'm barely using the full capabilities of the software.

What type of editing are you wanting to do?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

i was gonna offer some help carol, but if vaughn feels that elements isnt intuitive enough i will back off. because my experience was with its bigger brother Photo Shop.. so from my Friends experience, elements is a fine software from what i have heard,, there again it depends on what you need to do with your pictures..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, you have a lot more PS and Mac experience than me, so I'd say your opinion carries more weight.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Gimp, that Art mentioned, is much like the older versions of photoshop (4-6) if you are familiar with it. Can't beat the cost either.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I don't want to do much with photos right now. I am a linear thinker. iPhoto eludes me for doing any kind of editing, or even importing from the camera. Right now I want to import from the camera, crop, auto-enhance, rotate, re-size for the web, and save in various folders not related to iPhoto.

I have some pictures to share with you all about what I have been building. But they will wait until I get a handle on this. When I was on the PC, I used Picture Manager. Pretty simple. Worked great for my simple linear brain.

Down the road (not too far) I will need to process photos for a new website, so I am willing to spend a couple of bucks and take some time to learn what I need to know.

The MacBook Pro was born a year ago last February. Running OS X Version 10.6.8. I got it refurnished at the Apple store. I am getting so I like it. Now I have to remember to convert files to .doc for my secretary. Soon I will have to make slides compatible with PowerPoint for the church laptop for worship resources. Enough to make me reconsider getting MS Office for the Mac as I am very used to it. But I committed to learn how to use this thing!

Keep the info coming. I am still thinking. Dangerous, I know!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Carol Reed

What camera did you end up with anyway?

I've had a few different ones and always try out the programs that come with them. I know the newer ones I've owned have had the workflow app (import, process, fix, crop, save, etc.) with built in functions for uploading to the web, so just curious if it had mac software.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ10. Didn't come with software, at least not in disk form. Never looked on-line.
    ++++++

Carol Reed