Respirator recommendation

A few years ago I got a bad lung inflammation which resulted in buying a Jet filtration system. This time around I got a very bad lung inflammation (the Jet filtration was running) and my wife won't let me cut any wood until I get a face respirator.

I would appreciate recommendations from actual users of face masks. This is for dust only, any painting etc we do in a well ventilated space away form dust.

Thank you, DKT

Dietrich, you need to identify what the problem is. First, you aren't using any respiratory protection at all despite years of studies and posts on the issue. You didn't disclose your location so assuming you live in the US, contact a Pulmonologist in your area, be very honest about your habits, protect youself and make your family happy. I use a Trend, it's only failing is the impact protection. If you are turning, sawing, cutting, finishing, painting or whatever else and not protecting youself....oops, forgot sanding...what's wrong?

One that fits correctly, (if you have a beard that's going to be a problem) is comfortable enough that you can wear it all the time, and doesn't interfere with your other safety devices (eye and hearing protection). If your respirator causes your safety glass or face shield to fog up, one of them will come off before you're done working. The Trend respirators are a great product and pretty much solve the issues I listed above. A respirator is really something you need to try on if possible. It has to fit right to get a good seal and be comfortable. Here's a link to a ton of options:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/respirators-3m-safety-respirator.html

Dust is a huge issue with me Dietrick. I have been through it all with the docs and the best thing that has been my saving grace was a small thing called a sinus rinse ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9mvVe7Mk4 ) I use it morning and night each day and I swear by this product. I have gone from cronic respritory problems to almost nothing. At least that is how good it worked for me. I also use either the full face or the half masks from North. You have to be clean shaven to use them and it is recomended to be fit tested. The full face mask I can't wear my glass's with and the half mask allows the use of a face sheild. This will allow 0 dust into your lungs ( if used properly).

I just picked up this mask with the p100 filters. I've used it a lot already and it works great. The exhaust points down so my faceshield and glasses don't fog up at all. It's a bit hot underneath it, but I can live with that. My nose was clear of dust even after over an hour of sanding at the lathe and another half hour of sanding cutting boards. Why did I wait so long??

I just picked up this mask with the p100 filters. I've used it a lot already and it works great.

Thank you for your reply. I bought the medium size one with the P100 filter and am looking forward to using it. Also I always wear a face shield when routing and fog was the reason I couldn't use the paper face mask, so that is a big plus for me. The mask is in the mail.

DKT

I have the Trend Pro Airstream and it works for me. Cool filtered air blowing over your face, no fogging of glasses and it provides impact resistance to a point. Only draw back is the price, between $400 and $500, I ordered mine from Packard, it came with two 8 hour batteries that take 14 hours to recharge. It is a lot more comfortable than a face mask filter.