Shop Renovation: Ned's Shop gets a facelift: Relocation plans

I think the french cleat system will do just as much with less work.

Well I'm not to the point of hanging anything just yet... still have to finish the sorting out... which thankfully I am nearly done doing!

The past 2 days I've been 'attacking' the clutter monster in the shop on and off, and working around other activities:

Look what I found!
oldblue.jpg

using the DC as an oversized shop vac (and picking up impeller damaging sized items first) I made Huge progress in cleaning the shop once and for now... getting the 'last' of the planer poo out of the deepest darkest recesses of the shop. I even dropped the miter saw stand down on its hinges to get the dust out of it... it seems to work as intended as well!

sawdropped.jpg

I have been going through all of the boxes and stuff in the shop, and have whittled it down to two piles of 'other' boxes (ones which crept into the shop during the post move sorting frenzy):
cornermess.jpg

in that stack, the offending boxes are stacked on or near my workmate box, the workmate of course will stay, the boxes will be relocated by Tuesday.

Here are the other boxes :
boxestogo.jpg

and the clean corner:
cornercleaned.jpg

the wheelchair goes too, as soon as I can figure out where to put it without raising the ire of the LOML.

OK gang,
on my long punch list for the shop is to fill in the soffit spaces before fall/winter arrives.

I never worried about it before, because it was an unheated and simply cooled space... since I'll be putting in solar heat, I need to address the issue finally.

Here's the view from inside, I have 'good' access here, but will be going Over the stuff on the floor to get there...
truss-typical.jpg

here is typical view from outside
space-typical.jpg

I'm not even going to try sketchup...

Question for the collective:

should I make a 'patch' that goes UP from the wall and covers that space, OR go out horizontal from the sill plate?

kind of a pokey day,

bit of excitement, the boys thought that one of our two house cats got out, mind you they've been House cats since before they were weaned (Momma was a barn kitty, and they were born in the wild, then soon rescued). And while I was trying to get things done out there, we had a 'all hands on deck' looking for the little sneak. Now, conflicting opinions have developed, the boys think that he got out, and that he snuck back in when Lori got home from work. I think we may have had a visitor cat in the house... whom Patrick spotted trying to leave.

either way, he is home safe and sound, and I eventually got this accomplished:

grinderstation.jpg

may not look like much, but I'm pretty happy with it.

I'm still fine tuning my wolvie clone... I can sharpen with it, but I think it is still too high...
jiggyredo.jpg

hence the semi finished nature of the arm.
marplesreground.jpg

vaughnground.jpg

there are two bowl gouges I hadn't been able to sharpen (well I could have, but wanted to finish the jig first).

I'd probably go this route on the eave Ned. I'm working on this same issue on my shop right now. I plan to use vented vinyl soffit with a vinyl F channel on the inside then I'll wrap the fascia with aluminum.
Roy, thanks for the tip, that looks Very doable, now i just have to put it on the list... Door and solar come first, then this! great drawing, I can 'do that'!

1st solar collector

Well I finally got my 18v circular saw working... (Someone unplugged my shop, and the battery charger was dead)
SOLAR END.jpg
Just a two chamber u shaped box which I then lined with left over roll insulation, that allowed me to simply use that to separate the inbound and outbound air flow in the window section (see below)

solar halfway done.jpg

inside solar down.jpg
the air goes 'out' in the lower section, gets heated by the black cloth which is suspended above the insulation halfway in the 'outer' chamber. As the air heats up , it draws more cool air in from the shop, and the warm air comes in and up/into the shop.
solar inside.jpg

Outside view
solar wide.jpg

solar.jpg
head on view as the light was leaving... we'll see tomorrow and going forward how effective it is.

reminds me of something i had read a while ago. some kids had a warming shack along with the backyard ice rink. in order to warm it, they constructed a box with a dozen or so pop cans. they built the box, installed the cans, and painted the whole inside flat black. there was a glass or plexiglass side facing outward, and a length of dryer venting line from the side of the box to an opening in the shack. inside they rigged a battery operated fan to pull in the heat. from what i remember, it worked out quite well.

I'm in the middle of tightening up the doorway of my shop. It has 'always' been a bit porous, shall we say... and today I worked on taking one door off (need a second set of strong hands and a new wrench to finish that job, for now it is pinned back against the shop wall). I was in the middle of framing in around the existing door, and I was almost to the point of closing in the gap when I realized I had a perfect spot to put my next solar panel. The doorway end is the southern exposure for my shop, so I'm simply going to attach the already started panel to the framed out opening, put in the necessary air holes and I'll be in business. I have to move a 2x4 (actually I'll likely just add another one) and so on, but it should be a great addition to the shop!

Last edited:
I managed to get to this point today:

almost buttoned up.jpg

I was just about to seal the right half of the doorway up when I realized that I had a perfect opportunity to build my solar collector, or at least start it... two birds with one stone. I had this put together already:

solar panel.jpg

so, I screwed that in behind the framing I put in... and will 'glaze' it similar to the one I posted a couple of days ago.

new inside view.jpg

there's the new view from the inside.

bob,
yeah... well... have to swing that tyvek thing buy the CFO... along with the roll insulation for the heat ceiling I'm planning...

My plan is to make this area (around the door in the center (the one on the far right is coming off)) into one big solar panel.
solar area.jpg

the rest of the front will get more siding like the three other sides have on them (which I Have, I just need to get the gumption and get it hauled up 20' in the air...)