Plywood is good for turning!

Hi all, This one's for Nancy, she said I just had to post it so here 'tis......

This is a plywood pot made from 5 layers of Baltic Birch 3/4 inch with Paduak strips in the second layer down. Glue-up took longer than the turning almost. My wife claimed this one as it came through the door to the house! The amazing thing about it is how light it is, just a couple of ounces. It is 3-3/4" tall and about 4-1/2 wide with wall thickness about 1/8".

Second is a pen I made from Particle Board on top and Plywood (scraps from above) on the bottom. OK, OK, it was reaaaaalllllll late at night when I did this one!

And last but not least is a pencil made from Cottonwood, something we have in abundance here in NM.

So, What do you think?

Mike

Attachments

• plwdpotSMALL.jpg
    plwdpotSMALL.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Wutzit Pen SMALL.jpg
    Wutzit Pen SMALL.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 80
  • CttwdPnclSMALL.jpg
    CttwdPnclSMALL.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 52
Michael, When I first read the title of this post. I was shocked to someone would try it. Plywood is rough on jointer blades, so I figured it would do the same on turning tools. The out come is exellent. The different colors make it atractive. Well done. So how was it to turn the plywood?
Al

Al - I have a Sorby bowl gouge which I roughed it with (I cut the stack sorta' round on the bandsaw before mounting it on the lathe). Had to hone the gouge twice during the rough out. I used a couple of different hollowing tools and scrapers to do the inside (next one will be stacked rings, not squares) and had to sharpen them all a couple of times each. I'm brand new at this HF and bowl turning so it's all practice for me..... But to answer your question, it was fun and I will repeat it sometime soon.

Lee - look closely at the pen bottom (2nd pic) and you'll see it WAS turned on edge....

Mike

Last edited:
Michael that bowl is awesome. I have a load of scrap plywood that I don't know why I even keep it. Well I may have to try one of those bowls for giggles. Pens mighty pretty to.

I luv the different layers. It makes it very interesting. And to think you could make something so nice from wood that normally ends up as scrape material. Thanks for the idea. :thumb:

Thanks!

Hi and Thanks! bunches to those of you who posted replies. I really appreciate the input as I am very new to this bowl, pot, vessel, HF, or what-ever it is called thing..... I thought the pot was cool and looked kinda' neat when I got done with it, but my wife was just beside herself about it though (like many an artist, I am my own worst critic) and laid claim to it on sight.

So I will be making more of these and I challenge you all to have a go at it. I am curious to see the results and hear your comments on the turning session. Also I would be interested in hearing how you do the lamination of the layers. So, get out there and use up that scrap plywood and post the results!

Mike

:wave:

That's a great looking pot! I've played around with turning plywood a little too. I've just used pieces of microlam cutoffs from construction sites but it makes for some interesting pieces.

Attachments

• Microlam box 6.jpg
    Microlam box 6.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 21
I saw this bowl live and in person last weekend, and it IS a beauty. Mike's right, the thing weighs about 2-3 ounces and feels like it is just going to float away. I tried to sneak it into my purse, but Mike's wife Rita would have none of that! She wouldn't let it out of her sight.

Mike does really nice work--such a collection of pens like you've never seen, and his forays into hollow forms and bowls is putting me to shame!:eek:

Nancy