Ready for the Eclipse

Dummy me, I went to Harbor Freight yesterday and picked up a welding helmet. Got it home only to learn the auto-darkening helmets are no help when looking at the sun. :doh: I'm going to return it this afternoon and see if they have anything else that'd be suitable.

Yeah, I gave my auto dark a try. Just flashed. If you get a welding lense, it needs to be shade #14 or darker. Gas goggles aren't dark enough either.

Hey Brent, did you get any photos? I struck out on trying to get any gear to actually watch it myself, but my sister got some good shots. Here's one of them...

2012-5-20-Eclipse14 C 800.jpg

I got a few. Still need to do a little post processing on them. Will probably upload after work sometime today.

Here's a couple of shots. I really didn't have the right equipment at all for this.

So I risked one of my cameras doing a time lapse, and took some other shots through a welding helmet lense, and some without.

FWW-5955.jpgFWW-5949.jpgFWW-5938.jpg

It did. I was surprised. When I wanted to get into photography, I started with an original Canon Digital Rebel. I've since upgraded, but I use that camera as my timelapse rig. It was pointed right at the sun for a few hours and it didn't seem to make any difference. I wasn't too worried about the sensor, since I figured that would be covered up by the shutter, but I was worried that the shutter would melt or something. So far so good!

I really wish I had bought a solar filter... Oh well, Live and learn.

I just got these from a friend whose sister took them. They are the result of the sun filtering through the leaves on a cottonwood tree. Bazillions of eclipse images were projected on the wall of their house.

Sherry Eclipse 1 800.jpg

Sherry Eclipse 2 800.jpg

Sherry Eclipse 3 800.jpg

Sherry Eclipse 4 800.jpg

Sherry Eclipse 5 800.jpg

Sherry Eclipse 6 800.jpg

Sherry Eclipse 7 800.jpg