Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: cradle build

cradle build

finally got started on the cradle. finished the design a while ago, picked up the lumber (very nice clear pine) day before yesterday, and cut the all of the parts to size yesterday. today the plan is to glue up the end panels, the stretcher, and the two uprights, and cut all mortises and tenons. the pictures show the finished design, the lumber, all the cut parts, a rough setup of one of the sides, and the total amount of waste so far (cutting it kinda close, neh?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cradle mk 5.jpg   raw boards.jpg   all parts cut.jpg   side setup.jpg   total waste.jpg  

benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Can't wait to see the finished piece.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

well, only got 4 hours in on it today. but, in that time i managed to get 56 tenons cut. going to lay out and cut the mortises tomorrow, and glue up the stretcher, end panels, uprights, and feet. all that today, and helping the wife with her math homework (do you realize how many decades, let alone years, since i've had to divide mixed numbers?!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all tenons cut.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Faith, Hope & Charity

this project is going a little faster than i expected. today i got all the mortises marked and cut in the upper and lower sides. then i test fit one set of spindles, just to see how they would look, then, i couldn't help it, i fitted all the spindle sets for that side, to see how they would look. once that was over, i glued up the stretcher. with that done, i can then nip the ends flush, and rip it to size. last thing to be done today, was to glue up the blanks for pair of uprights. as this is pine, i'm going to fit the pivot holes with a copper insert, so that the hardwood pegs will not distort the pivot holes. the hole for the locking peg won't need the insert, as it is not load bearing. soon it will be down to just the sanding, shellacing, and final assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marking for side spindle mortises.jpg   all mortises cut.jpg   one set of side spindles.jpg   all side spindles.jpg   stretcher in clamps.jpg  

uprights in clamps.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Lookin good Dan

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

well, in spite of 12 hrs of storms here, i've made a little more progress. glued up the bottom, head, and foot panels, along with the blanks for the feet. i'm going to try to finish cut the head and foot panels, the stretcher, and a few other items.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom panel glued up.jpg   head panel glued up.jpg   foot blanks glued up.jpg   foot panel glued up.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

i decided to take a couple of days off from the cradle, getting all cradled out i guess. helped the wife with her church's garage sale/fund raiser. it was to help pay for using the church, lights, musical instruments and such. i donated a box full of items, and she said that they all sold after i left on the second day. now, back to the cradle. today i finished up laying out the cut lines for the outer edges, then cut them, layed out and cut the mortises on the head and foot boards, taking some off of the one side of the lower rails' tenons, to have a little more wood on that side. then i test fitted the sides, and test fitted the sides to the end boards. then i called it a day, as it was getting a little toasty around here again, and more storms predicted for tonight. when i picked up some more blue tape (found mine after i got back from the hardware store), and i picked up a folding idea chair for all the times i looked around for something to sit on, and none to be found....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails end blanks taped together.jpg   new idea chair.jpg   tops cut.jpg   sides cut.jpg   mortises cut.jpg  

first side put test fitted.jpg   second side test fitted.jpg   fitting sides to one end.jpg   ends and sides fitted.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Never have too many chairs in the shop. Project is coming along good.

Great job on the cradle, looking good!

I'd agree with Steve, I keep about 6 chairs around in the shop and have filled them up and had to pull out a couple of folding stools as well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word ďboo.Ē Ė Robert Brault