Thread: Need/ Want handsaw

Santa Claus, In

Need/ Want handsaw

Ok I haven't figured it out yet, as to whether I need or want a handsaw, but I do. So how about a little help?

I want a backsaw. Just for when I need to make that occasional straight cut that a power saw can't get too.

I don't want to sale a kidney or take a loan out, but quality and a closed handle, would be nice. I looked at Lee Valley and really don't like the handles on the Veritas models. I like the Wenzloff Small Tenon Saw, but is that a good TPI and size for general all around use?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

Gonzales, Louisiana
    I don't recall the specs on the Wenzloff.

I do like the one Veritas DT saw I have but it's not the end alll by a long shot.

In regards to cost, one definite option from Wenzloff is to buy a saw plate with the teeth already ground, sharpened and set then make your own handle. Or make a new handle for the Veritas.

The last option though, and my personal favorite, would be to rehab an older saw.

As for ideal pitch and style for YOU really depends on what you want to do with it. So further details on materials and use would be helpful for that.

Delton, Michigan
    i would say either wenzolff kit or refurb one of the rusty pieces you have so much luck in finding as well steve..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Joel over at Tools for Working Wood just had a very timely post on this very subject. Check it out.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Gonzales, Louisiana
    btw, if you go the refurbish route you might enjoy these two threads:

Sorry they are on a different forum but they were easy for me to find

SW Minnesota
    To take this in a different direction, you might consider a Japanese pull saw. Big box stores sell one for less than $20, they cut well, and after you get used to the feel, are pretty acurate. They have induction hardened teeth and can't be resharpened, but I have used mine for over two years and it still works well.