Thread: Anyone ever sharpen clipper blades?

Anyone ever sharpen clipper blades?

As some know, part of our little enterprise here is a small flock of sheep, wool breeds, about 35 animals most of the time.
    Shearing is a job for a fit person in their 20's, not a semi-fit guy in his 50's who works mostly in an office, and we have just such a young fellow who comes and does them for us. Once in a while though, we need to do one ourselves, like tonight, a ewe on the verge of lambing who had a big woolly fleece that was going to interfere with easy nursing.
    So, we have a decent set of electric shears and other implements for this purpose. They have to be kept super sharp to do a decent job and the grime and grit found in the wool soon renders them dull. So, we have a couple of sets of blades.

Here's the point: I sent a pair out for sharpening last fall. They were gone for weeks, I had to hound the place to get them done and they charged me $25.
    How hard can it be to sharpen these myself? The matching upper and lower blades appear to be just machined flat and slide past each other for the cutting action. It seems like the "scary sharp" method would work for this, just lapping them on a flat plate to which various grits have been applied.
    Any thoughts on this?

Regards
    Peter

Invest in a good diamond hone and do it yourself!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

A little googling.....

>> How to sharpen Sheep Shears <<

Seems the two surfaces are NOT flat, but have a slight curve to them.

I think you should find another sharpening service, or build the grinder pendulum thing they talk about.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

William Arthur Ward

Interesting, those are a lot different than the clippers I use on the dogs which do have flat cutters (flat within my ability to measure them anyway ) and did benefit from occasional lapping.

The sheep shears look positively medieval in comparison.

Try this............Charlie Edwards, 420 W. Pierce Street, Houston, Tx. 77019

The cost about $5.00 a pair (Im not sure about the cost of sheep shears) and I regularly send them out to them for sharpening - He is fast- turn around time less than one week.....and they are very sharp - I have used him for years - I do not have the phone number at hand but you can look it up im sure if you want to call him first.

Clipper blades can be sharpened so many times and then you need new ones - in my opinion - Then try Ryans Pet Supply or Valley Vet if you need new ones - Ryans can also fix clippers and has heavy duty ones for sheep........Mine are used for my daughter and she clips horses.........
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 05-26-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................