Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caster problem with a bad outcome

Caster problem with a bad outcome

See picture below - I have these type of casters from woodcraft on my Jet lathe and one of them broke today when I was moving the lathe. So I thought ahhhhhhh dang ill have to order another one. Then I thought to save a few dollars I could just have the threaded shaft welded back on the base. I do not have a welder capable of doing it so I took the caster down to the auto repair place today and asked if someone could weld it for me - explaining that I needed it to be flush with the bottom of the caster and straight (I had previously ground both pc with a flat spot). The guy there said no problem it will only take a second........Moments later he came out of the back and handed it to me smiling and said there was no charge................
    One one hand, it was nice of him to say no charge..............
    On the other hand - im thinking "REALLY"?? "Seriously" ?...."You have to be flipping kidding me" ?? ........

I just ordered a new one from woodcraft..........................ohhhhhhh well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0020.jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Based on the picture, I would wait for the new one. That weld, or I should say that attempt at a weld, isn't real good. He laid the weld on top of the threaded shaft, very little penetration and as I say to my students, "looks like a chicken pooped that onto that". Welding is the mixing of a filler material that matches the material being welding together. This is an example of not enough heat and at the wrong time that wheel is going to fail again.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I guess you get what you pay for
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I agree and im just put it up on a block to keep it level till the new one arrives...........................
    The one thing is I would have gladly paid if done correctly like Jonathan stated
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Wow, at least I know I can't weld. This poor sap has no idea he can't.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

when i put my lathe up on casters, i didn't mess with the small diameter, plastic wheeled casters. i knew that when i built my lathe platform, that it was gonna be hefty, and went with the nicest 4" diameter, high weight bearing casters (these ones are rated at over 230 lbs each, for a total capacity of 890 lbs, which my platform comes nowhere near). the only change i made from this picture, is that i moved the grinder to the back of the platform, and built set of 4 storage drawers on the end, and two drawers under the lathe. moves like a dream.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blue caster.jpg   19 all set.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

The ones I use are from woodcraft - http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...d-spindle.aspx
    Rated at 300lbs each .

I built a lathe bench a couple of years ago. I wanted to be able to move it, so I put a pair of 6" lawn mower wheels on one side of the pedestal. This is the only pic I have of the completed table. You can see on the left side the slope at the bottom of the pedestal. The wheel is hidden but just touches the ground and can be moved by my big strong son by tilting it slightly backwards and rolling along on the wheels. When I try to move it, it ends up lying on the ground on its side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lathetable01.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	67641
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    The ones I use are from woodcraft - http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...d-spindle.aspx
    Rated at 300lbs each .
    I'm betting that 300 pound rating is for a vertical load...weight directly on top of the caster. Apparently it's not that well-rated for lateral loads, which is why the stem snapped.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

yeah im sure your right about the vertical v. lateral load - but it has held up for along time and I only need one to fix it. The thing I like the most about using these wheels is the ease of moving it in and out of the garage with one hand - its a nice thing...............thanks